Laptop fell, graphic card may be busted. atikmdag.sys when i install drivers

Cova

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
Hello friends,

Sometime ago, my laptop fell on the floor and ever since it has been pretty much a vegetable when it comes to graphic demanding programs.

It works quite well for simpler tasks, like browsing the web, using Word or Excel, however, when i try to play a game or something more demanding the pc just can't handle it and eventually crashes.

What i've tried:

Clean install windows 7/8/10.
Install manufacturer drivers
Install drivers through Windows update
Opened the laptop to see if there was anything burnt or displaced (all good)

Right now i have Windows 8 and whenever i try to update the video drivers, it crashes with System_thread_exception atikmdag.sys. I've read into it and it's a conflict between drivers if i'm not mistaken, which has led me to believe when the pc fell it might have busted the graphic card somehow. Also, the fan it often at maximum speed an it's a bit hot (before it fell it was slighty cooler)

I assume these kind of repairs in a shop are probably not worth the expense, my laptop is a Toshiba satellite-c855d-13g.

Is there a way to get this pc up and running without spending too much money? I've looked into USB graphic cards, could this solution help? Is there anything i can do to get my laptop working decently again?

Best regards

Solution
Sounds like the graphics card to me. If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, you can try. However, it may well better to take it to someone to replace. Pricing I can't attest to. It depends on where you are. Where I am, they are pretty reasonable.
Sounds like the graphics card to me. If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, you can try. However, it may well better to take it to someone to replace. Pricing I can't attest to. It depends on where you are. Where I am, they are pretty reasonable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS