Laptop for College, Light Gaming

zsjazz

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Hi,

I am going to college next year and am looking for a computer to use hopefully for the next 3-4 years.

I am majoring in computer science so I will be using it daily for work and because of this major I have thought of getting a Macbook Pro and getting boot camp to make sure I can use every application needed but I am not sure about this. I am planning on doing mostly light gaming on it, mainly Civ 6 when it comes out as well as Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch (yes all blizzard). I know Overwatch will not run on a Mac but boot camp will solve this. Price range is up to around $1400, and I would prefer 13-14 inches but if there is a good 15 inch that may work as well. My top 3 from what I have seen so far are the Macbook Pro retina 13 inch, Dell XPS 15, and Razer Blade Stealth.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
The Razer Blade is good if gaming is important. But if it's more of a side thing, the Dell would work best.

Apple doesn't work well for gaming, it can do it but your limited on support.

Tim9800

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
I agree with Techy
The Razer is a definite for gaming, however, the XPS has slight advantages in its favour without gaming in mind
Although both have QHD, the Dell features a borderless display, making the 13" look like and feel like an 11". Its also a tad bit lighter than the Razer Blade, and in my opinion looks sexier and more professional. Furthermore, you can choose from touch screen/non touch screen to suit your budget. Looking at the Dell US store, they have two non touch base models with the latest skylakes (i3 and i5) at USD 800 and 1000 respectively. Touch starts at 1500, which is not worth IMO, but you also get a storage upgrade in terms of capacity and interface (128 to 256, SATA to PCIe) which is useful if you don't like cloud-based storage.

Link: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9350-laptop