Laptop for engineering (€1000)

Mikeleleveld

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
Hi
I need a new laptop for engineering.
I will mainly be using programs as cad, solidworks.
I have done some searching and noticed that there are 2 different types of graphic cards.
Gaming gpus and workstation gpus that are supposed to have more accuracy
Is the difference between the two big enough to justify the way higher price of the workstation gpu.
Or would i be better of buying a gaming laptop like a dell insperion 7559?

Thanks!

Solution
I don't know about what is available in your area but I will often recommend people check out the OEMs (like Lenovo, Dell, Etc) outlet website.
They often have returned, scratched, refurbished items for sale for up to 25% off, often with full 1yr warranty.

Usually the off-lease laptops you find online are good deals for decent quality laptops, but in your case they would not be adequate and I would not recommend them. These are mid-range laptops designed for business commuters who need something with good build quality, not your high powered processing needs.
For something like Maya or animations the workstation GPUs would be very worth the cost.

If you NEED to be able to do the cad/solidworks on the go then get a gaming laptop with at least a GTX-960 graphics in it, 16gb of memory and an SSD.

If you don't NEED to do it on the go (or will have enough internet bandwidth to Remote Desktop) then I would get a cheaper laptop and faster desktop

Mikeleleveld

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

Thanks for the reply.
Any sugestions for a laptop?
I was thinking about buying a refurbished or used laptop.

I don't know about what is available in your area but I will often recommend people check out the OEMs (like Lenovo, Dell, Etc) outlet website.
They often have returned, scratched, refurbished items for sale for up to 25% off, often with full 1yr warranty.

Usually the off-lease laptops you find online are good deals for decent quality laptops, but in your case they would not be adequate and I would not recommend them. These are mid-range laptops designed for business commuters who need something with good build quality, not your high powered processing needs.

Solution

Mikeleleveld

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

Would a HP Zbook 15u g3 be enough?
I can get one new for €1000,-