Laptop for everyday/ minimal use

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Hi

My knowledge with laptops compared to computers is very restricted. I am looking for a laptop that will be able to complete simple tasks such as play movies, surf the web and use Microsoft word with a decent battery life. I don't want to have to spend more than required and I am afraid that going into a store and purchasing the cheapest laptop won't benefit in long run. Any recommendations will be preciated, thanks.

Solution
Ok, great. If I were in your situation, I would go with the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E431. It's a 14" laptop so it's a little smaller than what you wanted, but it's a decent laptop with good specs and a nice bonus: 8.2 hour max battery life: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e431/?sb=:000000AD:000006B1:

That link should load you up with the $649 i5 configuration. I recommend the i5 over the cheaper i3 because the i5 will have much better performance when you need it, especially as it ages this will be a bonus if you plan to keep the laptop a long time. This configuration might lead to a slight drop in battery life, but with 8.2 hours to work with, even an hour's drop isn't bad at all.

To keep for your...

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
You're not limited to Dell actually, though their entry level laptops are good, they are a bit on the expensive side. The only laptop brands I would stay away from are HP and Acer due to build quality issues in their cheaper range, the rest are good enough if all you want is basic use. If you don't mind the small size, you could get by on a tablet with a keyboard dock too if you wanted (something like the Asus T100, though keep in mind the keyboard is smaller than normal). My recommendation though is to stay away from models with only 2GB of RAM, as it's not enough to allow the OS to use a decent amount for system cache, and it'll slow down.

If you're really looking to get the minimum cost, I recommend checking out the Asus Eeebook X205. You'll be extremely limited on CPU power (Not sure which Atom CPU is in it yet) and storage but it should be enough for basic web browsing and office use. When it comes out it'll only be $200, and you'll get 12 hours of battery life on it.

Could you tell me exactly how much you think "decent" battery life is? It's different for every person.

Sounds like something like a 10.1" convertible laptop (tablet with attachable keyboard) using Intel's low power Bay Trail generation Atom CPU. An example would be the Asus Transformer T100; not the best convertible out there, but it is popular. They generally come with a student version of MS Office 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TA-C1-GR-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00FFJ0HUE

Here's a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ-vPUCWYg0

Here's a review for the Acer Switch 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WOw7gLxM2E

Some people like these because of the fact that they are "convertibles". However, they are small so if that is the case for you, then buying a $400 "traditional" laptop is likely a better option. For a more traditional laptop that should not break your bank account there's the following 15.6" Dell laptop for $430. It will be more powerful than a convertible laptop, but not as portable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/6685413.p?id=1219234627674&skuId=6685413&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=6

That will be extremely hard to find. All convertible laptops (or convertible tablets) I have seen only comes with 2GB of RAM. That is because they are typically shipped with Windows 8 32-bit version. The 32-bit limitation generally means only around 3GB of RAM will be available for use which is why nearly every convertible laptop only ships with 2GB of RAM.

The only exception that I know of right now is the Lenovo ThinkPad 10. The more expensive version ($700) has 4GB of RAM and it has a 64-bit version of Windows 8. But it does not ship with a keyboard (~ $150). So it is not exactly an inexpensive option.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Yes that is true, in order to get the lowest cost possible you would be down in the 2gb range. If the op just wants to spend as little as possible and get something as portable as possible it's there, but otherwise it's best to avoid or get a 2gb model that will allow you to upgrade the ram. A tablet won't though.

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I was assuming battery life on laptops only lasted a couple hours but 12 hours is fantastic

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I should have mentioned my budget earlier. I can spend around $500 and if spending a little more (about $200/300) will be profitable for my uses then I'd be happy to. I'd prefer the laptop to not be a convertible for the larger screen and keyboard.

Also would I still be avoiding HP and Acer at around $500-700?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
$500 US? Easy to do, in fact there are a lot of options. Give me a few minutes and I'll get a list of decent options for you. Can you tell me what you want in terms of screen size, as well as any features you would want?

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
500-700aud but the exchange rate isnt too far off. Max would probably be around 750usd. Screen size I would be happy with 15-16 inches and I won't mind getting the laptop shipped. There are no specific features that come to mind that I require besides the screen size.

Thanks

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Ok, great. If I were in your situation, I would go with the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E431. It's a 14" laptop so it's a little smaller than what you wanted, but it's a decent laptop with good specs and a nice bonus: 8.2 hour max battery life: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e431/?sb=:000000AD:000006B1:

That link should load you up with the $649 i5 configuration. I recommend the i5 over the cheaper i3 because the i5 will have much better performance when you need it, especially as it ages this will be a bonus if you plan to keep the laptop a long time. This configuration might lead to a slight drop in battery life, but with 8.2 hours to work with, even an hour's drop isn't bad at all.

To keep for your 15-16" request, you can also go with the G50-70 i5 model. It will only give you half the battery life though due to a smaller battery, and it's slightly more expensive: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50-70/

Solution

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Perfect, I was about to purchase an acer laptop before posting here so good to know. Thanks I'm about to purchase the laptop soon :) I appreciate the swift responses too

symsus

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
After looking at a few reviews people have been experiencing issues with the hinges on that laptop. Do you have other recommendations? Performance wise the laptop is what I wanted but the issue is that people are complaining about hinges after few years of use and the complaint level is higher than other laptops.