Laptop FPS Drops HELP

Spacekoyote

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015
I have recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 i7559 laptop. I can pretty much run any game i would like except for these random HUGE fps drops every couple seconds on demanding games. For example, Terraria and minecraft run flawlessy and dont get any fps drops. On the other hand, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Minecraft with shaders, and things that are graphically intensive have those random fps drops. I've tried everything, reinstalling graphics drivers, uninstalling and installing the RAM again, unparked cores, everything but nothing seems to work. So yeah, need some help....

SPECS:
-Intel i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz
-Nvidia GTX 960m 4Gb DDR5
-8Gb RAM

Solution
It sounds like, although the device has good specs, they are just not enough for those games. At least without some kind of lag. Unfortunately games tend to get more advanced faster than the computers that are running them do. I would hazard a guess that, were it a desktop, you would have less of an issue, but there is no guarantee in that either.

Have you compared the games 'minimum' specs to those of your system? If you are close to the minimum requirements, then you may need a device with quite a bit 'more'.
It sounds like, although the device has good specs, they are just not enough for those games. At least without some kind of lag. Unfortunately games tend to get more advanced faster than the computers that are running them do. I would hazard a guess that, were it a desktop, you would have less of an issue, but there is no guarantee in that either.

Have you compared the games 'minimum' specs to those of your system? If you are close to the minimum requirements, then you may need a device with quite a bit 'more'.

Solution

PurpleOnion

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I have the exact same laptop and experiencing the exact same problems. Really confused about this. The games run perfectly, but there are these damn FPS drops every 10 seconds that really ruin the experience.

I've also experienced this with Sonic Adventure 2 (a DREAMCAST game from 15 years ago) on STEAM and I still get those random FPS drops (although this only happens when there's smoke around.).

For a laptop with such great specs I'm really wondering what's going on.

It's weird because games like League of Legends I have hit 240 FPS on medium settings and 100+ fps with no drops on Highest settings at all.

I bought this laptop last week so I really do help there is a solution...