Laptop freezes after startup (after resetting pc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

imran1201

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I've had my Asus Gl552vw laptop for a year now and after trying to run the game golf with friends it suddenly started heating up so I panicked and turned it off asap. Then when I started to run it, it started freezing after around 10 seconds after logging in. I decided to reset the laptop and I still have the problem. I'm able to run it in safe mode. I'm not able to check for updates on windows in time before it freezes. Any idea on whether it's a hardware or software issue and what can I do about it?

Thanks

Solution
Well if it runs fine in "Safe Mode" then I would say software. Unless you have it set to use a different GPU when running in Windows rather than the the integrated one. If that is the case, then you need to try switching over to that, so Windows loads with it. If it works, then the other GPU or its drivers could be your issue.
Well if it runs fine in "Safe Mode" then I would say software. Unless you have it set to use a different GPU when running in Windows rather than the the integrated one. If that is the case, then you need to try switching over to that, so Windows loads with it. If it works, then the other GPU or its drivers could be your issue.

Solution

imran1201

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

Hey, thanks for the reply. How do I go about changing my gpu? I googled it and tried doing it by right clicking the desktop but it freezes by the time I've done that.

imran1201

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

In safe mode, whenever I try to open any apps, nothing happens. I do have access to device manager though if that helps.

You should be able to check for updates while in there, from control panel. If it stays on and will let you do things (even restricted) in "Safe Mode" but cuts out as soon as you start up normally, then I would wonder what is loading when you normally start Windows that is causing your problem.

In "Safe Mode" it should allow for right clicking on the desktop background and accessing the properties.

imran1201

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

ok so in the like 15 second time I had before it froze i managed to make a new user so that I could access internet explorer in safe mode. (which didnt work because I had no access to internet connection anyway). but for some reason, on the other account I had a minute before it froze. (i dont know if it was to do with the account.) but yeah, in that minute i was able to download the nvidia drivers then run and install them on safe mode. Everything is running smoothly for now. Thanks for all of the help that you gave me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.