Laptop freezes for short bursts of time

Powka

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hi,

Does anybody know what the problem might be? My laptop freezes for 1-2 sec (sound freezes in the middle too producing some weapon-like sound) when watching videos only.

Currently it happens very rarely, but I had this same issue with my older laptop, then this was becoming more often until it was unbearable, and eventually laptop died. I'm afraid the same thing might happen to this one. Any advice please?

Specs (bought it 2 weeks ago, so still have the warranty)
Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 1.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would watch the process monitor in task manager, see if any of your CPU cores is maxing out, then try to find the process that is using all the CPU power.

Does it only happen while watching videos? How are you watching videos (streaming online via netflix or youtube, from a dvd, or from a file on your hard drive, or something else)

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
What type of videos are you watching? Maybe you are trying to play a video with not fully supported codecs.

I suggest you install K-lite CODEC PACK (google it) and/or use VLC media player (the best player and it is free) from videolan(dot)org

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Sometimes a failing hard drive causes this. One of my PC's used to freeze for a second followed by a clicking sound. However it wasn't only watching videos. Are you sure its only when watching videos or could it be just a coincidence?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
He has an SSD, so there will be no clicking, a failing SSD will typically just fail without warning :) (comforting, I know) or fail sometimes and work others.

Powka

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I watch it using VLC, I've got the codecs too. I watch it from files on my HDD.

I've noticed it on videos, but it might be a coincidence. However, the same thing was happening on my older laptop, but it was only on videos (YouTube, Netflix, DVD, anything).

My first drive is SDD, the second one is a regular one 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE 7200rpm. They're both new, do you think they might be failing?

Thanks. Any other thoughts how to solve this before it gets worse?

Oh yeah, I also had that blue screen of death about 2 times, a week apart. It said something about that some drivers might not be working properly together and Windows shut themselves down.