Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hello,
my computer randomly freezes when i am watching youtube or doing something on my laptop. Then it either recovers and i get a message that says: "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" or i get a blue screen with atikmpag.sys / atikmpdag.sys and/or 0x0000050 / 0x0000001. This happens very often. I have installed the newest drivers for my AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card and i have also tried reinstalling windows. My laptop does not freeze when i am playing video games. I have switchable graphics.

These are my specs:
Notebook model: HP Pavilion dv7-6b80ec
Processor: Intel Core i7 2670QM, 2,2/3,1 GHz, Sandy Bridge
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD6770M, 2 048MB VRAM
RAM: 8GB DDR3, 1 066 MHz
Hard Drive: HDD 1500 GB

Crash dump analysis from WhoCrashed:
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051015-53352-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x72A40)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800030C8160)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050815-55317-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x7B78)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800F96C010, 0xFFFFF88004856B78, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050815-61261-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x4D5C1)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ATI Technologies Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

Thank you in advance,
Simon

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the reply,
I tried turning hardware acceleration on/off and it did not help. But now i'm watching videos in mozilla firefox and it seems that it is not crashing for now. Will update if i get a blue screen or my display driver stops responding and recovers.

Update: While i was browsing facebook my cursor suddenly stopped responding, my monitor turned black and then it went back on and i got the "display driver has stopped responding and recovered" message. But i did not get a blue screen. I have hardware acceleration turned off in Firefox.

Update 2: I was copying some files and then my notebook randomly freezed and i had to restart it.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might resolve this error. You should also run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner Memory caching issue common cause of this error is an incorrect or corrupted pointer that references an incorrect location in memory pointer is a variable used by a program to refer to a block of memory. If the variable has an incorrect value in it, the program tries to access memory that it should not

VIDEO_TDR_ERROR code: 0x116. atikmdag.sys
A pointer into the responsible device driver module (for example, the owner tag).

Sounds like and I hope you have a software issue. Do you remember when this first occurred had you up-dated anything have you tried system restore to a point before the issue occurred when all was working good?
Does the youtube issue only occur in Chrome or other search engines, what kind of files were you trying to save and in what program. Were they pdf files?

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

The youtube issue occured in firefox aswell. I system restored and then i did not have any problems for a month or so and then i started to get the blue screens again. But now i don't get a blue screen, my PC just completely freezes and my keyboard and mouse stop responding. That is because i reinstalled my graphics card driver. I used driver sweeper when reinstalling the driver. The freezes only seem to happen when i'm watching youtube. I will now try to disable memory caching. I scanned my memory and it said everything was alright. I will scan both the hard drives and the memory again though, just to be sure. Will update after i have done all those things. And the files i was copying were one .ini file, one .dll file and two .exe files, but i don't think those caused the crash, because i copied these same four files a few days before that and i had no problems whatsoever.

Update: OK so it seems i don't have an option to disable memory caching in my BIOS. It should be up to date, because i just updated it. I downloaded the BIOS update that is specifically for the model of my notebook from the HP website.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Just try the following see what happen.
Click on the Start button
Type “msconfig (without quotes), click the resulting link. It will open the System Configuration window.
Select the “Startup” tab.
Deselect all items other than the antivirus.
Apply > OK
Accept then restart.
Let us know if you still get lock ups on youtube.

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

My notebook still freezed, even after i disabled everything other than AVG.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I was only checking to see if some loaded software was locking up your system.
Next thing to try is in the following link as it could be flash player conflict this link nicely explains it in detail,
chrome plugin usually works for most

http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

In my chrome plugins there was only one adobe flash plugin, i disabled it anyway, restarted chrome and after a while my notebook freezed again. I do not have any software conflicts in chrome and the software removal tool did not do anything. Malware bytes scan returned no bad results.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Re installing flash player might be worth a try and re enable your chrome plugin as you only need to disable if you have multiple chrome plugin only one is needed. Look where the brackets are is it 1 or 2 or even 3, look at example below your version will may be different.
Sometimes people miss the additional plugins for chrome does yours show the following? as there is a drop down button to the far right of the screen a + symbol in a square box very small. What does yours look like.
Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 13.0.0.182
Shockwave Flash 13.0 r0
or
Adobe Flash Player (1 files) - Version: 13.0.0.182
Shockwave Flash 13.0 r0

Have you seen these, as it has the stop code you experienced? 0x0000050
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5145684/model/5210650/document/c03792773/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/951418
Try downloading a free trial of system mechanic and running it as it may be just a corruption on hard drive or to your registry?

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

This is how my flash player looks like in chrome://plugins :

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 17.0.0.188
Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Version: 17.0.0.188
Location: C:\Users\Šimon\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\42.0.2311.152\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out of process)
Types of MIME:
Type of MIME Description File Extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl

The first link suggests me to download the AMD driver i already have installed. And when i try to run the hotfix file it just says that it is not compatible with my device. I resolved all the registry problems and corruption with CCleaner and System Mechanic. I thought this fixed the problem, because i was getting no problems on youtube for a long time, but then the screen froze again and i had to restart.

Here is some more blue screen analysis from WhoCrashed:

On Sat 16.5.2015 20:04:14 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051615-39811-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x748C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800032C14B4, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 16.5.2015 20:04:14 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800032C14B4, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 15.5.2015 15:38:46 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051515-54974-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: igdpmd64.sys (igdpmd64+0xF91BA)
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x1, 0x2EEC0D, 0x2EEC0F, 0x2EEC0F)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\igdpmd64.sys
product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7(R)
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igdpmd64.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR

Usually my screen just freezes, my keyboard and mouse stop responding and i have to restart the computer though. The blue screens happen less often than the freezes. Before the freeze i usually get the display driver has stopped responding and has recovered message.

Update: I got a blue screen when i was watching a movie in BS Player. The blue screen was atikmpag.sys

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

Try Update 2 first if not already read below at bottom.
Have you run a chkdsk on your laptop? If you do run it try it without commands to fix it first to see if it finds and errors on your harddrive. Just a straight chkdsk first. If you run it with commands to fix it back up everything first. Also do you have any means of booting your system from an external drive as I would clone your drive then attempt repairing it eternally to find the fix? If your drive in not at fault then it''s either pionting to that driver/files in your crashes as currupt so would do a system repair not a system restore as restore only takes your laptop back to known date when things appeared to be working fine it now sounds like hard disk or memory failing if not your graphics card driver or Windows system files corrupt. Having said all that I still think it sounds like flash issue. I'm sure there is a way.
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?cat=support&term=disabling%20acceleration&loc=en_US&self=1&lr=en_US&site=_all
Update 1
See following link are both boxes ticked and are you allowing your hard disk to be used on global storage settings
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

Update 2
If you've been unable to disable flash acceleration go to alternative movie web site like Cineworld play a trailer, right click mouse, click on settings, then disable hardware flash acceleration by un-ticking the box.

Sirako

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Hi,
I ran a chkdsk just now for the C:\ drive and it said i have no errors. My flash hardware acceleration is disabled and have both of the boxes mentioned in your update 1 ticked. I disabled hardware acceleration on Cineworld just like you told me to.

I also get these weird "texture problems" whenever my notebook freezes for a longer period of time (about 10 seconds) and then when it restores it looks like this: http://imgur.com/kcN0AXT.

Status
Not open for further replies.