Laptop goes into sleep mode after few minutes or immediately.

vin84

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Hello,

I hold a Dell XPS L502x laptop, When I start it it, sometimes it goes into sleep mode before BIOS settings getting loaded or some times after login into windows. When I press power button immediately, it does not come out of sleep mode. I assume it must be hardware issue. But confused whether this issue is with CMOS or else with 2GB NIVIDIA@ GeForce GT 540M graphics with Optimus ?. Kindly help on this if any faced similar issue.

Thanks,
vin84

Hi,

When you say it goes to sleep you mean it goes to a black screen right?
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and see if it will boot up normally without going into a black screen.
- Next to try is to connect an external monitor and observe if you'll get the same problem using it. If the display stays on using the external display that means it's the built display that has the problem.
- If the same problem will persist even using an external display that means its a different problem inside the motherboard.
- Do try and reseat the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure that everything is seated properly.
- Also clean the fans inside the laptop making sure that there's no dust stopping the fans from spinning and apply new thermal paste on both the GPU and CPU.
- If all these will not work I would suggest contacting Dell Support if it's still under the factory warranty for a repair.

TomsHelpChat

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016