Laptop Graphics card damaged beyond repair. Can i share RAM to play basic games?

TheQuickCook

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB36FG laptop. Its ATI Radeon HD5650 GPU is damaged and the service people told me I ll have to change the entire Mother board. But i would rather go and buy a new laptop. But in the meanwhile, i need to use my laptop for basic gaming. I was trying AoE and it has lots of grains. Movies , browsing etc works fine (subtitles are not sharp though). Is there some thing i can do.? I have heard of sharing RAM for graphics memory. Any help. Thanks.

Specs:

Core i3 380M
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD5650 (embedded, broken)

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
you're using the graphics card inside the cpu (the i3 380m has another graphics card). default it will use as much ram as it wants but it's slower compared to the broken radeon card. there's nothing you can do about that. maybe install the latest intel graphics drivers from intel.com and set it to performance mode sacrificing detail level for speed so games don't lag.

TheQuickCook

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

But i think i dont even have the Intel graphics drivers installed. Coz Age of Empires is a very basic game and it is showing grains. I have checked my device manager. It lists my adapter as Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor Chip type : ATI ATOMBIOS

Update: I have run hardware ID. The standard VGA adapter is still my broken Radeon. How do i change it to my Intel graphics.?

TheQuickCook

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Used the tool. After searching for available updates the list came out empty. I have a American Megatrends R1090Y8 Motherboard.

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
go in the bios and check if there's options to use the intel cpu integrated graphics or the dedicated - broken - amd one. if you find anything swtich to the intel one and rerun the drivers tool from intel.com

TheQuickCook

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

The bios has basically very limited options to change. Only Date & Time, Boot options and such There was also something like Intel Virtualization Technolgy. It is "enabled"