Julin07

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I bought a lenovo Z50-70 last week from amazon, it's a pretty nice laptop except the poor battery backup. But since yesterday i have started to notice a faint but weird and annoying noise from the lap's HDD compartment, it's kind of like a scratching noise and occurs at random without any pattern even if the system is idle.I can only hear it if i keep my ear on the laptop or if the room is very quiet with the cooling fan off.
I have done all kinds of diagnostics including seatools , Lenovo Sollutions and couple of other stress tests with different tools and it passed every single one.
But i am still worried , should i take it to a service center or is it normal?

A service center will run the same tools, unless the system is in warranty you may as well skip that. There are some drives that are louder than others, so just a bit of noise is not a sign by itself that the drive is going bad, especially since the utilities say it's fine.

On the other hand, it's impossible to say for sure how long the drive will last in any case, just make regular backups and use the drive till it dies, then replace it.

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
If you haven't yet, create your factory recovery dvd's and save your documents, pictures and such to a dvd or usb memory stick since you hard drive may crash at any time. Also it might be your system fan that is making the noise (might need cleaning. Hope this helps

Julin07

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Thanx ,
I still hav my warranty , so if it dies within the warranty period they'll replace it ( i hope).
and i don't have an precious data on the device.

Julin07

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Thanx,
but I don't think it is the fan that makes the noise , it is coming directly from the hdd cabinet , unless they have a fan there.

Julin07

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Unfortunately no, David
I have been ignoring it lately , but i found the exact same sound on a brand new Asus netbook , so i thought it must be present on all laptops.

It is not causing any problems though , the laptop still works pretty neatly..

If you happen to find a solution please do share .. :)

(by the way , you have idea on how to fix the stupid wobbly keyboard?)