I have a gt740m CPU in my laptop, and I've been noticing an issue with it lately, when the laptop is on, the CPU will randomly drop roughly half it's speed for no apparent reason, no matter what the laptop is doing. I've had it happen when idling at 46c, or when playing a high end game. when running the Passmark integer math benchmark, the CPU scores around 7200, when it's acting up , it's around 4000. I have found no reason for this to be happening, the only way I can make it go back to normal speed is restart the laptop, but it will then randomly do it again inevitably. There are no programs taking up speed, and the cores aren't being parked, the CPU is just slowing itself down for some reason. I really need help fixing this issue
Try changing some settings in Power Option.
- Right click on the battery icon and select Power Options.
- Click on "Change plan settings" on the selected power plan.
- Click on "Change advanced power settings"
- Expand "Processor power management" and follow this settings.
Minimum processor state: 100%
System cooling policy: Active
Maximum processor state: 100%
- Click on Apply and OK.
- Next is to update all your drivers as well and also do run an update to check if there's important updates available.