Laptop Keyboard Hell

csilas

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I'm in keyboard hell:
My "A" key has always been sticky (difficult to press) since I purchased it just over a year ago,
& I've never had any liquid spills; but now I have a more serious
keyboard problem with my radius laptop after the most recent windows 10 update
Typing all keys in order from upper left (esc) to lower right gets me:
XXCCVMXxcvvm;;''';XCVM;;''MXXCVM;'';''''vXCVM;;C'V';;MV
with many keys not transmitting to screen at all.
Looks like only the semicolon key results in its intended symbol, though obviously other keys will give the same result.

Touchpad & mouse both work fine, as does the onscreen/Touch keyboard (Which I'm no big fan of,
though in this case it seems to be somewhat saving my butt, doesn't it?)

Nothing else seems amiss--but of course this is untenable for the work I'm doing
--as are flinging the darned thing out of a window and setting up a brand new laptop.
Device mgr of course shows all in their places (yes, with sunshining faces)...

Just tried reinstalling the keyboard driver & of course it didn't work.

Thoughts?
TIA,

CS

P55W-B
16G RAM
?1T HD
External Blu-ray & passport
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
I've seen a few brand new laptops of different makes with a rare "defect" of one key needing more pressure to work however none of these laptops ever presented a steady failure of keys or complete keyboard failure thus I am not inclined to point fingers and say your keyboard is crap. Rather I suspect windows 10 itself is the issue, if you search this forum you will plenty recently had similar issues thus it gets to the point of pointing fingers at windows 10.

Steps I might try:

1. System restore to a date when all worked fine.
2. If that fails, try running command prompt in administrator mode and type "sfc /scannow".........without the quotes to check integrity of windows files. If any corruptions are found it should repair it.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I've seen a few brand new laptops of different makes with a rare "defect" of one key needing more pressure to work however none of these laptops ever presented a steady failure of keys or complete keyboard failure thus I am not inclined to point fingers and say your keyboard is crap. Rather I suspect windows 10 itself is the issue, if you search this forum you will plenty recently had similar issues thus it gets to the point of pointing fingers at windows 10.

Steps I might try:

1. System restore to a date when all worked fine.
2. If that fails, try running command prompt in administrator mode and type "sfc /scannow".........without the quotes to check integrity of windows files. If any corruptions are found it should repair it.

Solution