Laptop keyboard slowly dying out of nowhere.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
So, over the past week or two, my laptops keyboard has been acting strange.

First, the "k" key started only typing "kl" and if the key is held down, it types "l" not "k".
Next the "q" key went weird on me and now types as "q.". When held its a period not a q.
Tonight, the "C" key just stopped working altogether. It was working fine and after a restart for an update it stopped.

I'm not sure what's prompted this. There's been no damage to the keyboard or anything in the time span. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard,restarts, driver reinstallation. I've uninstalled SCM as well.

I've got a replacement keyboard but one of the keys was broken in transit but the layout is wrong anyway.

Laptop is an MSI GT70.

Update:
The "K" & "Q" keys are working again! It's probably temporarily though :(
The "C" key is still not working. Sorry, I'm unable to type the letter (I got it working!). This has been a great test of my English skills with a thesaurus though.

Another update:
The "K" key is now typing "kl" and the "L" key is now typing "KL" or "L". It's mixed.
The "Q" key is going weird. It's either typing "q.", ">Q" or "Q>".
Also, the "C" key has reappeared.

I have noticed that this has only really appeared since I installed a handful of games on Steam. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was the first one I installed, but I don't think a game can do this, can it?

Solution

https://uk.msi.com/about/contact-us
Just to make...

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012

https://uk.msi.com/about/contact-us
Just to make sure the problem isn't directly related to the keyboard only.
Find a usb keyboard or borrow one and test the keyboard.
Make sure it types fine in windows and then try it in one of your steam games for one hour.
If you don't see the same issues with your replacment keyboard then it is msi's fault.
Ask to speak with the tier 3 technical support, reason being you already had "ONE" replacement and that did not help.

Solution