Laptop keyboard's lifespan?

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hi there. I recently got an HP Pavilion Power 15 laptop (i5, 1050) and I'm currently using it for games and programming.
I was wondering what lifespan/life expectancy would my keyboard have?
Thinking that the WASD keys will be constantly pressed down, will they get lower with time? Will they lose their responsiveness? I didn't own a lot of laptops in the past, selling them quite often, so I would really appreciate an answer based on personal experience, but any replies are welcomed. Thanks.

rune2h

Proper
May 1, 2018
Sometimes manufacturer will list an estimated keypress total if they want to boast about their keyboards, but it's quite seldom. With almost any laptop keyboard, you are talking in the millions of keypresses. I have owned and used many laptops and also desktop keyboards and the issue of the keys wearing out is a non-issue. The only way they will lose responsiveness is if there is a genuine hardware problem (broken switch, etc) but not from being used too much.

Again, you're talking in the millions of keypresses. The keyboard will probably be the very last thing that will go on a laptop. Don't even worry about it.

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
What was your experience after those 6 months? Were the keys still usable? Was the delay really noticeable? How much hours per day do you reckon you'd used them? Thanks in advance.