Laptop LCD display developed Blue 'Hue' which flickers to Pink...Help!

OfficeJerk

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Some relatives 'borrowed' my Toshiba Satellite A500 laptop for a few months and i just recently got it back. Havent had a chance to turn it on since today, and when i did, i noticed now there is a blueish hue to the display which wasnt there previously. When you physically move the hinge back and forth, sometimes the display changes from blue to pink, and sometimes weird shapes and patterns appear, but when you find the right position, all dissapears and only left with the blueish hue to the screen. It wasnt like this when before i loaned the laptop.

What does this sound like it could be? I connected through VGA and HDMI and the external display works perfectly, so i doubt its the graphics card, i'm leaning towords cable or lcd screen itself. Problem is most shops wont touch this for at least a minimum of $100 and as its an old laptop i rarely use nowdays, i would like to try and attempt to replace whats broken myself and if i destroy it in the process, im not too fussed, but again, i would like to try.

Does this sound like the LCD itself, connecting cable or an inverter?

Thanks alot to anyone who takes the time to respond to me.

USAFRet

Illustrious
When you physically move the hinge back and forth, sometimes the display changes from blue to pink, and sometimes weird shapes and patterns appear, but when you find the right position, all dissapears and only left with the blueish hue to the screen.

That sounds like a loose or partially broken ribbon cable leading to the LCD.

Take it apart and see what's what.
How did this happen? Maybe it got dropped.

OfficeJerk

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Hi, thanks for responding.

I have taken it apart, Im using it at the moment with the front bezel removed so I can see and touch any wires and fiddle around with it.

If I touch the ribbon leading from the motherboard to the lcd running over the hinge, the color changes from blue to pink and sometimes green and flckers, but it never ever returns to normal color.

Does it sound more like a faulty ribbon cable rather than the LCD? im not sure if it has been dropped, but theres no damage at all on the LCD that I can see...

OfficeJerk

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Correct, both ends are fully connected and wiggling changes the blue hue to pink and or green with lots of strange lines showing all over the screen.

I would assume if the LCD is bad, wiggling would have no effect on the image - is this an accurate assumption?

Thanks again!

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yeah, that sounds like a bad ribbon cable or partially broken connectors.

However....how did it get to be bad?

OfficeJerk

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

I don't really know exactly, I loaned it to some of my relatives for a few months as its my secondary laptop and I don't really use it often and when I received it back, I noticed the problem.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Either dropped, or the screen was bent too far back at one point.