Solved! Laptop LCD monitor doesn't work with one laptop but will work on the other laptop.

Feb 15, 2021
Hello, recently my laptop monitor screen stopped working. At first I thought it was just a dead LCD monitor as the laptop works well when connected to a TV via HDMI cable. So, before buying a new LCD and replace the 'dead' one, today I decided to try swapped the 'dead' LCD with an LCD from another laptop which turns out to be compatible. The donor LCD did not turn on as well when connected to my laptop. However, my 'dead' LCD turns out to be working well with the other laptop. I had make sure the connection pin was secured nicely, but still no display from my laptop even after using the donor LCD. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem here? It is the motherboard? the cable? I tried my best to fix my own laptop as I got a tight budget, however if it's related to motherboard then I do not have any choice other than asking a proper technician to fix it up .

Laptop model: Acer Aspire 475G

Solution
If the screen is good, that leaves something else as the issue. Connection to the motherboard, or the motherboard. If you used a different cable than the one you had in the bad system then yes the cable may be the issue. Anything in the signal chain that was not ruled out yet can be the issue.
If the screen is good, that leaves something else as the issue. Connection to the motherboard, or the motherboard. If you used a different cable than the one you had in the bad system then yes the cable may be the issue. Anything in the signal chain that was not ruled out yet can be the issue.

Reactions: hillaryous
Solution
Feb 15, 2021
So I went to the technician and I told him probably the cable is faulty. He then proceeds to check the laptop. However, he didnt check the cable at all while convincing me that the graphic chip on the motherboard is dead. He also told me that it is a rare occasion where the cable will be faulty. Should I just gamble and replace the cable myself? Its not expensive but still, Im uncertain whether it will work.

So I went to the technician and I told him probably the cable is faulty. He then proceeds to check the laptop. However, he didnt check the cable at all while convincing me that the graphic chip on the motherboard is dead. He also told me that it is a rare occasion where the cable will be faulty. Should I just gamble and replace the cable myself? Its not expensive but still, Im uncertain whether it will work.

Without ruling things out, it's all just guessing. Yes the cable being bad is not common, but the other option is to replace the motherboard and test that first.