Laptop lock up that requires a hard reset but won't boot!

Sychx

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi

Ive recently encountered a weird issue that has recently caused some trouble to my laptop, I'm not sure to wither or not its caused by a virus or by conflicting drivers/software.

Basically the the laptop will freeze up and I can't do anything on the laptop clicking eventually leads to the mouse freezing up and it will not unfreeze, I have to then hard reset the laptop and when it starts up it gets to the windows starting and doesn't go any further. Safe mode doesn't work either it just freezes while loading the files.

What Ive noticed so far is that the computer is completely fine when it is newly restored the problems get encountered when I start applying windows updates and updating my drivers.

I did various tests on my hardware like memtests, chkdsk function and a BurnInTest that returned no errors.

Can anyone shed some light on this any idea what exactly the problem could be?

System specs are as follows:
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (3.1 GHz, DMI 5 GT/s, 6 MB cache memory)
8GB DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M (2GB Edition)
1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard drive

phil22

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
"What Ive noticed so far is that the computer is completely fine when it is newly restored the problems get encountered when I start applying windows updates and updating my drivers."

Do not update ANY drivers unless there is something wrong with the existing ones.
Updating drivers is not compulsory you know!
Only update a driver if the update fixes a specific problem you are experiencing.
Otherwise leave your drivers alone!

As for Windows Automatic Udates, I always disable that after a fresh Windows install, but that's my preference and always has been Since automatic Updates was first introduced years ago. I perform a Windows Update manually about once a month, but I always examine the list of updates and deselect the ones I don't want or need.

Both Windows Automatic Updates and updating drivers unnecessarily are the two main potential causes of Windows errors. I'm almost certain that if you install windows afresh, then disable automatic updates immediately, and leave your drivers alone that are working okay, you should not have the same problems.

Of course, you must have a reliable and trusted third-party firewall & antivirus installed (I use NIS) if you run Windows with Automatic Updates turned off.

Don't forget to run Windows Update manually from time to time, but don't let it install everything without you looking to see what the updates are for. That's why I don't like Automatic Updates - you don't know what's being installed.

TRENDING THREADS