Solved! Laptop makes a lawn mowing sound. Didn't make this sound before I cleaned out the fans and after I clean out the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CluelessCompKid

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
This sound started two days after cleaning out the fans. Everything was fine before then and I hadn't opened up the laptop again.

Solution
Its definately the fan, needed to hear it to rule out the Hard Drive crashing but you can tell its the fan causing the noise.

You need to open the Laptop and find the offending fan and spray lubricant on the axle of the fan. Most PC fans have a sticker over the axle point so simply remove the middle of the sticker and spray some WD40 over it then you will be good to go !!! Have had it happen to a few fans in my PC's over time....

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
Can you upload a video with the sound or an audio file please ? Could be the Hard Drive failing if its a loud clicking or if softer clicks fan may need some lube !!!

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
Its definately the fan, needed to hear it to rule out the Hard Drive crashing but you can tell its the fan causing the noise.

You need to open the Laptop and find the offending fan and spray lubricant on the axle of the fan. Most PC fans have a sticker over the axle point so simply remove the middle of the sticker and spray some WD40 over it then you will be good to go !!! Have had it happen to a few fans in my PC's over time....

Solution

jay.wooster

Great
Sep 27, 2018
Just heard the noise towards the end, it may actually be that you have left a cable or wire in the proximity of the blades of the fan and they are touching either all the time or just occasionally. Check that first before bothering with the lube !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.