Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
So I bought a new gaming laptop here are the specs

16GB RAM
GTX GEFORCE NVIDIA 960M
i7 Processor - 2.60ghz
Windows 10
Leonova

So you would think this a really good laptop right? Well a few weeks ago I was running CSGO at 200fps on low settings thse days I'll be lucky if it even reaches 200 on low resolution and low settings I tried setting everything to high performance but nothing helped.

My friend told me it was because of my Windows version and told me to downgrade to 8.1 but I won't be able to do this until the 24th.

Any temporary solutions?

Solution
Yes, a laptop will not have the same specs as a desktop, the mobile i7 is a limited CPU, not able to performs as a desktop cpu. The same goes for the mobile gtx 960m, it performs alot worse then the gtx 960.

Are you sure you are using the dedicated display for gaming, and not the built-in graphics from the CPU?

As mentioned did you try reinstalling the latest drivers, using DDU? DDU (display driver uninstaller) makes sure there is a clean install and can solve old drivers problems by completely deleting all files of the driver, so you have a clean driver install.

As it is a laptop make sure your power profile is the right one, and that its settings are optimized for performance (even performance optimized settings can be changed, so...

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Windows 10 performs better in gaming than any other windows, so downgrading to windows 8 will not help for sure. Given it was fine a few weeks ago it might be a software/driver problem. Have you tried uninstalling your old GPU drivers and reinstalling them? Preferably using DDU.

Luai Al Jamali

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver I actually did that a few days ago there was a outdated which Is now updated but seemed like it didn't effect anything.

Luai Al Jamali

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Side note: My other pal has a pre-built PC we have almost the same specs except his processer 3.60ghz I know that desktops have more powerful he runs CSGO at 300fps+ just wanted to point this out

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Yes, a laptop will not have the same specs as a desktop, the mobile i7 is a limited CPU, not able to performs as a desktop cpu. The same goes for the mobile gtx 960m, it performs alot worse then the gtx 960.

Are you sure you are using the dedicated display for gaming, and not the built-in graphics from the CPU?

As mentioned did you try reinstalling the latest drivers, using DDU? DDU (display driver uninstaller) makes sure there is a clean install and can solve old drivers problems by completely deleting all files of the driver, so you have a clean driver install.

As it is a laptop make sure your power profile is the right one, and that its settings are optimized for performance (even performance optimized settings can be changed, so check these too).

After reinstalling display drivers, you can also check the settings of the display, disable vsync, etc.

Solution

Luai Al Jamali

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Hey thanks for replying once again, I'm going to try some of these using DDU and using the dedicated display settings for gaming. Thanks again I'll update you on that when I'm home