Laptop not performing as well as specs suggest

Flynnstone

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Hi, My name is Tom and I've been noticing my laptop is running a lot worse than its specs suggest. I have a Novatech nSpire Pro 2640m. Specs are :
Intel i7 2640 Mobile Processor
8GB RAM
500GB SATA Hard Drive
Intel HM65 Chipset
NVIDIA GT540M Graphics Card

Games often have FPS Lag every 2-3 seconds and my cooling fan is the loudest I have ever heard. I have friends whose laptops have worse specs than me, yet they have a much better quality of gaming and just browsing in general. It would be great to get some help as I often get annoyed with this problem. Thanks!

Solution
the heatsink is behind the fan the metal radiator looking thingy. if you do not have pets, eat while using your laptop, and its only a year old then i am probable wrong. but if any substantial debris got through the fan into the heatsink then its probable blocked up.

how much heat comes out of the heatsinks while the laptop is running? When it boots up are they already running at full tilt? If so I would look into taking your heatsink off of your CPU reapply some new good thermal paste and look and see if there is anything stuck in between the fan and heatsink.

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
When is the last time you have cleaned out your laptop's heatsinks? I do not care for laptops as they usually suck a lot of hair dust food whatever into the heatsinks. Any debris in there will really ruin your computers ability to cool itself properly.

Flynnstone

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

A bit ago, I opened up my laptop to check for dust in my fan, we blasted it will some pressurised air, but there was none to be seen

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
the heatsink is behind the fan the metal radiator looking thingy. if you do not have pets, eat while using your laptop, and its only a year old then i am probable wrong. but if any substantial debris got through the fan into the heatsink then its probable blocked up.

how much heat comes out of the heatsinks while the laptop is running? When it boots up are they already running at full tilt? If so I would look into taking your heatsink off of your CPU reapply some new good thermal paste and look and see if there is anything stuck in between the fan and heatsink.

Solution

Flynnstone

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to replacing hardware, but I'll talk to someone I know, explain what you've said and see whether he agrees or not. Any other possible options?

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Run you process manager and watch what things are accessing your hard drive etc. make sure once your machine is running at idle properly. nothing should be accessing you HDD much or making your CPU work hard and if it is figure out what it is and fix it. also make sure your machine when hooked up to charger is set to high performance mode. you can try disabling windows aero to get an extra couple FPS. good luck

Flynnstone

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Novatech isn't one of the most well known computer companies and their laptops and PCs are a lot cheaper than other brands. My laptop was always like this, from when I first bought it. Do you think it's the company itself?

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
i dont know... if you say it was like this off that bat... have you installed any temperature monitor programs to see what the laptop is running at? is it both fans running full tilt or only one? Maybe when the machine was put together in the factory the technician forgot to put thermal paste on or something...

Flynnstone

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Say they did forget something like thermal paste, would that be the problem for the laggy games and immensely loud noise from the fans?