Laptop not powering up after replacing cracked screen

Solomon_Malkuth

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
just replaced the screen on a clients laptop. Computer was working just fine, then after I replaced the screen, nothing happens at all. External display shows nothing, the laptop power light and charging light comes on, but the fan doesn't start spinning, nor the HDD. Just no response whatsoever. RAM is fine, screen is fine, HDD is fine. Power is at proper current and battery is doing just fine. Pretty sure motherboard is fried, but wanted to ensure.

Hello, have you tried putting back the old cracked screen, or simply disconnecting the lcd cable? Was the replacement screen New or Used?

If the computer still works with the previous screen, then you have a defective LCD screen. It is actually quite rare, and will prevent you from booting because there is a load on the voltages that go to the motherboard.

Solomon_Malkuth

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

Unfortunately I did indeed disconnect the screen, and use the old screen again. It again did not turn on either way

Hello.

Does the power button respond? Please try checking if you did not damage anything when installing the replacement screen. Such as the cable for the Power Switch. If you damaged this cable, or the switch itself, you will not be able to power on the PC.

If there is nothing visible, then you might have broken the video card for some reason......as you probably know this isn't replaceable.

Solomon_Malkuth

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

The power button does indeed come on when pressing it. The charging light also comes on when plugging it in. However, when pressing the power button, the fan doesn't even spin up, nor does the HDD. So I wonder if it's even the video card, but another component.

It might be another component, but are you willing to dismantle the motherboard and verify each and every power regulator and fuse? Most probably a voltage regulator or a fuse has failed.

Motherboard repair is a time costly job, so if the laptop is not a high priced one, I suggest cancelling the job and trying to make a deal with the customer.

If it is a very high end laptop, then you can try getting the service manual and verifying step by step voltages and parts using the troubleshooting section.

Solomon_Malkuth

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to deal with the components if it is something that small on the motherboard yet. I'm pretty sure that it is indeed the motherboard itself, and I will be giving the customer a trade-in discount towards a new laptop and a free data backup HDD with his previous data to make up for the loss. Thank you for your assistance in this endeavor.