Laptop not turning on when i press the power button.

Jun 9, 2018
My ASUS laptop isn't turning on since this morning when i press the power button. I've been reading answer threads on some forums and trying to fix the issue for two hours now but the only actual solution i found doesn't seem to stick for long.

I read that this is might be the "Black Screen of Death" and it can be fixed by pulling off the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds before resitting the battery and turning on the laptop. That worked the first time around. But only until i got to the desktop. The screen turned black again and stopped responding.

I also removed both the back panels and gave the motherboard, fans and all the connectors a good cleaning. That doesn't seem to work either.

The battery is at 100%.

What do you think the problem is? It's really bizarre specially since i used the thing at around 1AM yesterday and this happens 5 hours after.

Thanks for the help!

Solution

I suspect something fundamentally wrong with the hardware itself that's beyond user-serviceable. Could be anything from a chip gone bad to some other surface mount component on the motherboard (VRM, resister, capacitor..etc)

Contact ASUS and check if it's still under warranty. An RMA might be the best course of action rather than attempting to fix this one yourself. And, even if you think you got it fixed, no telling that it will just come right back like last time.

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018

I suspect something fundamentally wrong with the hardware itself that's beyond user-serviceable. Could be anything from a chip gone bad to some other surface mount component on the motherboard (VRM, resister, capacitor..etc)

Contact ASUS and check if it's still under warranty. An RMA might be the best course of action rather than attempting to fix this one yourself. And, even if you think you got it fixed, no telling that it will just come right back like last time.

Solution

whitey86

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
If its not undet warrany, Cmos reset could be worth a try
1. Remove the main battery and charger
2. Remove the service door
3. Find the silver coin battery in its holder
4. Gently remove it from the holder( being carful not to rip the battery holder off the board, easily done)
5. With a 2 ended metel object(ie tweezers) bridge the 2 comtacts in the battery holder for 30 seconds
6. Place the coin battery back in the holder and plug the charger in and try turning it on

If this dosrnt work try removing as many cables and part(except of the power port cable and power button cable) 1 at the time and either 1 of them could be shorting it out.

Jun 9, 2018

I think the issue is fixed. After trying to do the same thing a number of time to no avail, i just screwed all the panels back in and set the thing aside for about 40 mins. Turned it back on again and it went to start up recovery and now its working fine. Been 22 mins....

And btw i was trying to fix it myself because this is my work laptop and i'm afraid i might get into trouble if they think i broke the thing. :/

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
FYI, unless there's physical damage from neglect (dropped, crushed, water spill), the company IT department (if they're reasonable, and 99% of the time they will be) won't point the finger at you. They'll just replace the laptop and replace/repair as needed on their time so as to not keep staff in a non-productive state.