Laptop only booting after being unplugged for long periods of time

e2-bird

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I have an MSI GL72 6QF-405 (ms-1795) laptop. One day, it suddenly shut down while plugged into the wall. It then failed to turn back on for the following week. By "failed to turn on", I mean that it showed no sign of having power at all (no fans, sounds, lights, etc).

Some things I tried which didn't work:

• Removing the battery and waiting a short time
    Removing the hard drive and SSD individually and at the same time
    Holding the power button
    Double-checking that the power button is properly connected to the motherboard
    Using a different AC adapter
    Pressing the power button many times
    Applying compressed air to the fans and other components
After leaving it unplugged for about a week, it suddenly booted again. It worked for a few hours before suddenly shutting down again.

I have repeated this cycle of leaving it unplugged for a long period before starting it several times. During the periods where it works, I am able to reboot it without trouble.

It has worked after a period where I left it with the battery disconnected and a period where I left the battery connected.

Every time that I have booted it after some time left unplugged, it must be plugged in to boot despite the OS (Ubuntu 16.04) displaying a battery level of above 90% once it boots. Attempting to boot without plugging it in first does not work, however, it continues to work if unplugged after it first turns on.

What could be causing this behavior?

mbilal2

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Unplug the laptop and let the battery die. then hole the pw button for 90s. Plug in the charger and turn it on. Reset the BIOS settings to default while you're at it.

e2-bird

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I switched the CMOS battery and reset the CMOS. It seemed to work at first, but it crashed about 30 minutes later. It is now back to being unable to boot as before.

mbilal2

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Unplug the laptop and let the battery die. then hole the pw button for 90s. Plug in the charger and turn it on. Reset the BIOS settings to default while you're at it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
Empyreus Kitsune Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 2
sforsandeep Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 0
Nameer90 Laptop Tech Support 0
H Laptop Tech Support 8
M Laptop Tech Support 3
Wraize Laptop Tech Support 0