Laptop or its interface freezes randomly, unfreezes when AC is plugged in or taken out. What's causing this?

Hi guys--lost my old account somehow so I'm even noobier than I was before...anyway...

I'd say the problem has gotten out of control. Worse? I'm not sure--just that sometimes it can freeze 10-15 times in a hour. Maybe more. It froze about 10 times in the duration of me typing this out. Using my laptop without the power cord is impossible tbh. I have to force turn it off and on to do anything when it freezes.

That, or the interface doesn't do anything when I click on it. Like the windows button in the bottom left or anything else in the toolbar, though it'll light up when moused over (windows 10), until I take out or put in the power cord.

While doing something like gaming it...well. It never freezes, so that is the interesting part.

It has been doing this for about...6 months?

Bump; won't be bumping again, but it'd be nice to get some guidance first. I did look into the subject and didn't find much--I feel tempted to find my backup HD to transfer everything to, and then doing a factory reset, though again this is a last resort for me.

Sep 30, 2018

I'm having exactly the same issue - the laptop randomly freezes completely, and then whenever the power is plugged in (or unplugged, if it was plugged in already) the screen seems to "fast forward" very quickly to catch up on any interactions I did while it was frozen, and then runs normally. (For instance, if I jiggled the mouse or typed something or hit alt-tab while the computer was frozen, when it unfreezes it will rapidly show the mouse moving or type the characters or bring up the alt-tab screen and switch between windows, exactly the same way as would have happened during that period if it hadn't been frozen, except compressed into less than a second.)

"About six months" sounds like around when I started noticing this issue, too - perhaps there was a Windows Update around that time that caused this issue?

I'm using Windows 10, Build 17134.285, and my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7570.

Jan 15, 2019
Same thing here on an Acer Nitro 5. Freezes and I have to plug it in for it to unfreeze or if it's plugged in, i have to unplug it. Once you plug or unplug it, it will fast forward through the commands I typed before it froze. Windows 10 1803 build 17134.523