Laptop overheated by accident- Chance of major damage?

JustNRiver

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Ever since I got windows 10... I have been having tons of issues... For example when I log off my computer it stays running... Sure I have it set to always run at full performance...-On ac power... Anyways I shut down the computer but win10 didn't shut down... And it was still running.... As if I was still running a program... I didn't even use the computer when I had turned it on earlier. I intended to but never even opened a program... So what the heck was windows 10running... Mind you it didn't even go to sleep... I put the computer in my computer bag... The bag was open... But I woke up at 4 am to use the bathroom... And I heard the fans so I pulled it out and got my external fan and quickily tried to stablize everything xD I was like an ICU for computers... I for the most part baby this computer... It is only a few months old... How would I know whether or not I caused major damage..?? After all of this I said.. Well there goes a year... Is it safe to assume that my computer is going to die out sooner because of this incident?? I am so angry and microsoft because win 10 always does stupid things... Now when ai shut it off... It makes this sound that I don't remember before... Like a cd drive spinning.... Except I don't have a CD drive lol... I feel like I may just be paranoid about that last one but any ideas guys?? Thank you

Solution
I had a similar problem in win 10 that my laptop doesn't go to sleep when I closed the lid even though I set it like that. I changed the settings to put it on hibernate and it works every time. It may take a few minutes to put itself to hibernate but it will do it. This seems to be a windows 10 thing as I have never experienced this in win 8.1. To check if the laptop is damaged, you could do the following things:

1. Try and dismantle the thing if it is past its warranty. If it is not, just do a visual check to see that nothing is broken from the outside.
2. Use you laptop normally. Slowly build up the complexity of the programs to see if it struggles with anything. But make sure that the task is not too intense for the laptop. Or
Run...
I had a similar problem in win 10 that my laptop doesn't go to sleep when I closed the lid even though I set it like that. I changed the settings to put it on hibernate and it works every time. It may take a few minutes to put itself to hibernate but it will do it. This seems to be a windows 10 thing as I have never experienced this in win 8.1. To check if the laptop is damaged, you could do the following things:

1. Try and dismantle the thing if it is past its warranty. If it is not, just do a visual check to see that nothing is broken from the outside.
2. Use you laptop normally. Slowly build up the complexity of the programs to see if it struggles with anything. But make sure that the task is not too intense for the laptop. Or
Run benchmarks to stress the cpu and gpu.

Solution

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
turn on verbose status messages:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-message-windows

this will tell you what windows is waiting on.
for example, windows will refuse to shutdown if you have redirected drives and data was written to a server but never confirmed. (server bug) Windows will not shutdown because you the data would be lost. Other cases: media servers stand out. if you stream to another device like a xbox or have shared media out to your local network.

also, windows computers will talk to each other and other machines on the network may prevent the machine from shutting down.

Unplug your network tap or disconnect from the network and see if the machine still does not shutdown.

you can also start cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and see the report, Look to see if you have a media service that blocks the system shutdown. If so, then go to the windows control pannel and you have to make changes to the power management for the service. (sorry, i don't recall the exact path to the setting)