Laptop overheating if i try to play videos/ do anything besides idle and static websites

bakinboy

Estimable
Aug 14, 2014
My laptop's screen wouldn't turn on one day, so i took it apart and cleaned out everything. i tested all the RAM cards and put it all back together and the screen started working again.

the problem is that now whenever i try to play a game or run a video, the temerature immediately spikes and the fans start blowing like crazy and the laptop shuts down on its own. the fans aren't rattling or anything and i checked to make sure the heat sinks have paste and good contact with the graphics card and cpu.
it didnt do this before at all.
it can run static websites and idle without overheating, but the fans still run higher than they used to. temeratures seem to hover around 50 C in idle and spike to around 70-90 whenever i try to run something that puts more than a brief load on the graphics card

2012 p150hm with 2gb graphics card.

any help would be appreciated. i checked for similar problems but they all say it has to do with clogged heat sinks or defective fans. the heatsinks are clean and the fans seem to run fine, no grinding or pulsating. the problem seems to be something with the graphics card itself

Solution
Anytime you remove a heatsink from the CPU / GPU and other possible chips you need to clean off the old thermal paste using 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). You need to clean off the chip and the heatsink. Once clean you need to apply a thin layer of thermal paste.

Radioshack does will carry thermal paste in the store, but I do not know how good they are. They do sell Arctic Silver 5 which is a good thermal paste online, but not sure if they carry it in your specific store.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216879

Ali Shayyan

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
Are you playing more intensive games than before ? Can you mention temps using hw monitor. Seems to me like fan efficiency has decreased or some system part like mobo is affected. You might want to go for a repair or service center

bakinboy

Estimable
Aug 14, 2014

no, tried running portal. it was fine up until i started moving around, then the fans got really loud and it shut down on its own. i used to be able to play it and the fans would stay fairly quiet. playing videos also causes the fans to rev up pretty high.

pc wizard is freezing up on me. idling at 46 C right now

bakinboy

Estimable
Aug 14, 2014

no, it seem to be pretty thinly applied on it. would taking the heat sinks off to check that have caused the problem?
also, can i get the paste at a Radioshack and should i remove the old paste before applying the new one.

Maybe you have air trapped between the heatsink and the chips, you should always remove the old paste, clean the heatsink, the CPU and GPU with alcohol, and apply the new paste. You can Google to look at how to apply the paste. I don't know if they have good thermal paste at Radio Shack, they have closed those stores where I am.

Anytime you remove a heatsink from the CPU / GPU and other possible chips you need to clean off the old thermal paste using 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). You need to clean off the chip and the heatsink. Once clean you need to apply a thin layer of thermal paste.

Radioshack does will carry thermal paste in the store, but I do not know how good they are. They do sell Arctic Silver 5 which is a good thermal paste online, but not sure if they carry it in your specific store.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216879

Solution