Laptop Overheats before Windows installs!

klear6

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015
I have an interesting problem that will take quite a bit of creativity (probably) to get around it. I have an older HP laptop. I would tell you the specs but I can't access them. It has had a problem with overheating for a very long time now. I am pretty sure the fan is broken. It gets hot and just shuts off. I guess there is a failsafe in the BIOS to turn it off when it gets too hot? Anyways, I had Windows 7 but I needed to install XP (because - reasons). And, yah, I knew that was risky but I had no choice about reinstalling the OS. Any OS. Of course it crashed before it would make it through enough of the install to boot to Windows. Every time I try to install it it crashes. It would be a pretty awesome machine if I could solve the overheating problem. Until I can get into it and check the fan I need a way to install Windows! Also I have never busted open a laptop before so any suggestions would be appreciated. Please don't suggest that I pay to have someone fix it because that is not an option. It is a backup system anyways (I have a different computer that I rely on). It has been sitting on a shelf for about 3 1/2 years because I was so frustrated with it. Basically, if I can't fix it then it would be scrapped so I might as well open it up anyways. But before I go down that road does anyone have any suggestions about how to make it thru the Windows install alive?

Solution
You are correct in that the computer shuts down when it gets too hot. This is as safetey feature of the processor. You MUST find a way to repair/replace the CPU fan or it will be a waste of time to even try to go further.

Grab the screwdriver and pliers.....

Groveling_Wyrm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
You are correct in that the computer shuts down when it gets too hot. This is as safetey feature of the processor. You MUST find a way to repair/replace the CPU fan or it will be a waste of time to even try to go further.

Grab the screwdriver and pliers.....

Solution

klear6

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015
Ok, so the laptop has been in pieces for quite awhile now. I cleaned it out nice and pretty then I put it back together only to notice that I had 2 small wires and no clue to attach them. Couldn't find diagrams to read and put it back together in the proper order. So now it just seems awfully intimidating sitting there staring at me, its pieces glowing in hatred from my neglectfulness. My dad came by and I had him take a look at it and together we figured out the the two small wires (red and black with round clips) go on the wireless adapter. I'm not sure if they connects it to the hard button on the keyboard that turns it the wireless on and off or what, but now that I know where everything goes I can give it another try and get frustrated at the tiny screws all over again. Would be helpful, though, if someone knew where I could get a diagram of this thing to read just to make sure I don't have to take it apart again. No guarantee it will work but at least I will be able to say I tried. LOL.

How can we point you to a diagram (or disassembly video) if we don't know the exact model of laptop it is?

The wireless card should look similar to this:

http://machinaelectronics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/PCI-Express-Micro-Wireless-Card.jpg

The two round gold colored dealies are what the wires would snap onto if there aren't any already there.