Laptop pwr button non responsive after new mobo install

pawsontechdavid

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi,

I'm trying to revive an ideapad U310 Lenovo notebook (from approx 2013), After installing a new motherboard, the power button is completely non-responsive.

The battery appears to charge when plugged in, however whether plugged in or not the power button reacts as if it is not even connected to any power supply. I've tried various methods of 'resetting' involving unplugging the battery, unplugging the charging cable, removing the RAM, and holding the power button down for extended lengths of time. When I try to power back up after that process, I've yet to be successful.

I'd like to ask, are there any additional options to try? And what has likely caused this? The power turned on with the old motherboard. This is a new issue that has come about after trying to address a display problem. Thanks in advance for anyone's help, I appreciate it! (Further details to follow if it helps...)

What gets me is that before changing the motherboard, the computer would turn on, the hard drive would turn, and the fan would start. Nothing on the display and no beep, but mostly, "under the hood" it acted similar to when I would start the laptop prior to any issue at all. The original issue was that the ideapad's display had suddenly stopped working and I wasn't even able to get anything to show up when attempting to display out to another monitor. After troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion that the GPU had gone out on me. I got a new mobo that is the exact same model/specs as the original, however after installing, when I attempt to turn on the notebook I get no response. So, I am not even able to see if the original issue is resolved.

Also, currently when the battery is plugged in it appears as if it is fully charged or chargeing. However when you simply unplug the power supply, at least the indications are that eh batter is not holding a charge.

Any additional info needed, I thank you in advance for helping, and I will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for the assistance!

Solution
I own a Toshiba with a known power button fault that may eventually occur but touch wood it has not occurred yet.
The fix for this fault it a replacement button/cable to motherboard if you can find one. lol.
Or the other get you out of trouble with a faulty cable not saying yours is faulty but if you disconnect the power button cable from the motherboard plug it into mains and power on the laptop will boot up. You could try this if you like or try pushing the button harder if sometimes turns on with failing power button.

pawsontechdavid

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, thanks. I did with the original motherboard installed as an early part of troubleshooting. With the external display not working either, that factored in to me thinking it was the GPU, thus a new motherboard for the laptop. The current problem to troubleshoot deeper is that the power button is not responsive (plugged in or not) and I'm unable to get the unit to power up.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I own a Toshiba with a known power button fault that may eventually occur but touch wood it has not occurred yet.
The fix for this fault it a replacement button/cable to motherboard if you can find one. lol.
Or the other get you out of trouble with a faulty cable not saying yours is faulty but if you disconnect the power button cable from the motherboard plug it into mains and power on the laptop will boot up. You could try this if you like or try pushing the button harder if sometimes turns on with failing power button.

Solution

pawsontechdavid

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
I appreciate the suggestions.

I went back and disconnected then reconnected everything on the motherboard and while I had everything apart I ensured that the button itself was making contact with the underlying hardware. Some combination of all of that seemed to do it. Computer on, display on! Thanks again.