Laptop RAM upgrade + Battery doubt

Woxter

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015
Hi, I have two important doubts here with my laptop, they're easy and simple to answer, but I couldn't find any information about them so, here I go:

First of all, my laptop is an Asus Rog GL752VW 17,3" 1920 x 1080p IPS display, it features an Intel Core i7 Skylake 6700HQ 14nm 2.6 GHz up to 3.5 GHz, it has 16 GB of DDR4 RAM (2133 MHz) (2 slots of 8 GB) and a GTX 960M, the thing is that:

-1: The battery is an integrated one, so i'm worried about that because I usually have my laptop powered on, on windows 10 it says (99% available, conected not charging) does this mean that my battery is disabled when it's fully charged and plugged in?

-2: On the task manager and CPU-Z it says my laptop has 4 slots for RAM, but I only see two when I open it up, and the CPU specification is up to 32 GB RAM, but I don't know if I can upgrade that much because of the motherboard so my question is, where are those 2 extra slots and can I upgrade to 32 GB?

Thank you in advance :D

Solution
After looking at the specs and overview pages, it is listed and shows 2 slots for DDR4 ram. There are in fact 16gb sticks of so-dimm ddr4.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232150
So it would be possible to get 32gb from just two slots. I think CPU-Z always shows a selection for 4 slots. You should only get info from the two slots that are populated. I don't know why task manager would tell you it has 4 slots though.

Laptops run off the outlet when plugged in and the battery when unplugged. They will charge till full when plugged in even when in use. So yes your battery will be bypassed when fully charged and plugged in.

I must say, after looking at the pictures its a beautiful laptop, and is full of nice...

VincentGeddon

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
After looking at the specs and overview pages, it is listed and shows 2 slots for DDR4 ram. There are in fact 16gb sticks of so-dimm ddr4.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232150
So it would be possible to get 32gb from just two slots. I think CPU-Z always shows a selection for 4 slots. You should only get info from the two slots that are populated. I don't know why task manager would tell you it has 4 slots though.

Laptops run off the outlet when plugged in and the battery when unplugged. They will charge till full when plugged in even when in use. So yes your battery will be bypassed when fully charged and plugged in.

I must say, after looking at the pictures its a beautiful laptop, and is full of nice hardware and features too. I don't think I even want to know the price though.

Solution

Woxter

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015
Thanks! I don't know why task manager then says 2 out of 4 slots available, but anyway. Yes, I must say its a beautiful laptop and I must surprise you here in Europe its about 860€ which is aprox. less than 820$, its not that much for the hardware, in the US or canada you can get it for 800$, (I added a 8GB kit for 40$). So I think its quite cheap for what it can offer, battery life is 5 hours, gets my job done, I mean, everyone has a more or less 550-650$ laptop with a i5 or i7 "U" series and a low end 700, 800 or 900 Laptop GPU so..for me it was worth the extra cost, don't do much gaming, I already have a 4790K and a 970 G1 at home. I do video editing though, that's why I asked about the 32 GB RAM, but I didn't think it was a good idea to upgrade it since 16 GB DDR4 is enough, I just wanted to know if the posibility was there.
Again, Thanks! :)

painzpain

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

HI Woxter,

I got the same laptop ROG G752vy DH78K and just for the record, there are 4 DIMM slots, 2 are visible under the hood, you can access them by removing the only pin at the back, the other 2 slots are not easy accessable as you need to unfix the laptop apart to reach the slots. so just to confirm all ASUS rog G752 series are equipped with 4 DIMM slots by default.

Woxter

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015

But bare in mind I've got specifically the GL752VW DH71, I've seen a dissassembly post with photos and the motherboard only showed up 2 slots...so I am really confused right now are you 100% sure that the GL752VW DH71 has 4 slots? Thanks anyway for your help :)