Laptop randomly freezing while doing CPU-intensive work

Argybc

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
Greetings, everyone.

I'm facing a problem regarding a friend's laptop, who owns it for 5 years. They recently reported that the laptop randomly freezes while running some audio-editing software. Now, I was supposed to fix that problem, and so I proceeded to assess the situation. Since the problems started happening as soon as the weather became hot, I assumed that it was a heat-related issue. I opened the laptop, cleaned the fans/heat-sink, removed the old thermal paste and replaced with a new one, and placed the laptop on a base with three cooler fans beneath. Using RealTemp, I was monitoring the temperature of the CPU while running exactly the same applications as my friend/client, however when I am now executing even more intensive tasks, the laptop keeps freezing completely.

Some specs:

Intel Core2 Duo T5750 @ 2.00GHz
2.00 GB Ram
Windows 7 32-bit SP1.

Is there a chance that the PSU is at fault? What should I do? Should I underclock the CPU?

Solution
may want to change cpu speed to say 90-95% or so in windows 7 battery options management section

Control Panel >> System and Maintenance >> Power Options >> Change Plan Settings (For the current plan you are using) >> Change Advanced Power Settings >> +Processor Power Management >> +Maximum Processor State
may want to change cpu speed to say 90-95% or so in windows 7 battery options management section

Control Panel >> System and Maintenance >> Power Options >> Change Plan Settings (For the current plan you are using) >> Change Advanced Power Settings >> +Processor Power Management >> +Maximum Processor State

Solution