Laptop randomly shutdown during gaming (MSI GT60 DOminator 424)

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys, so I've had my GT60 424 for a little over a month now with no issues. Today I was playing BeamNG going into and out of game for a few hours. I was lining up a few cars to ram into and my laptop randomly shutdown, the fan shut off, the screen instantly went black, with no warning, or crash report when I booted back up (Windows 8.1). I know it wasn't the temperatures because the CPU was hovering around 67, and the GPU was around 70. The temps had been hotter for longer earlier in the day playing World of Tanks. I've heard it could be a power supply problem but if the power supply cut out wouldn't the laptop automatically switch to battery? The only change I've done is to install fan control by Pherein to basically use a custom fan curve (I installed it before playing BeamNG, but had played World of Tanks and temps had stayed within range). I actually used the software to have the fans faster at lower temps so I wouldn't have to use the turbo fan button. Any ideas what could have caused it/ how to prevent it?

System Specs:

MSI GT60 DOminator 424

- Intel i7 4810MQ
- 870M
- 8gb RAM
- 1TB HDD
- Windows 8.1

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
67C is too hot? It's rated for up to 100C. I've played for hours with it hovering around 80C without an issue. At the time of the crash I had it on top of a Cooler Master X3 cooling pad, although from my tests it only makes a 1C-2C difference for this laptop.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Measured temps using MSI Afterburner Rivatuner statistics on screen display. 60C can't be too hot because it will never be below that on a game like BF4, with the fans ramped up to max and a cooling pad it would reach 80C, there isn't any dust build up yet as I've only had it a month, and I haven't seen any temperature change over that time (i.e. every time I play BF4 it will get up to 80C but has yet to go over.) I'll try downloading HWMonitor and see what each core is doing. It's possible one core was able to reach very high temps, but overall CPU didn't reach past 70. The game I was playing uses 1 core per vehicle as its very CPU intensive sine its a physics game. It crashed when I spawned 4 other cars, but I had done that earlier with no problem and raced them around which is much more intensive.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I played it for a while today, without the fan set to max it reached 85 (HWMonitor) with the fan on maxed was around 68-72. I didn't have an issue, so I'm guessing without the fan set to max it just overheated. Aggravating that I can't rely on the computer to cool itself without overheating, oh well I can just hit the button and keep it cool, just don't like keeping the fan at 100%.