Laptop randomly turns off...can't figure out the problem

moraha

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I hope someone can help me figure this out. I'll try to give as much info as possible. I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this.

I thought at first that maybe the CPU was heating up but I can tell you that it definitely doesn't feel hot and Speccy shows that it stays around 40-50 C at all times. Here is the laptop's specs: http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-y500-59371972-dusk-black-weekly-deal-3rd-generation-intel-core-i7-3630qm-2-40ghz-1600mhz-6mb/specs/. I have it running 64 bit Windows 7 Pro, with 8GM RAM installed.

Basically what happens is that out of nowhere, I hear the fan (I believe it's the CPU fan on the side) speed up, cursor freezes, and then the laptop just shuts off. I'm noticing that it's mostly happening during the day when I use it at work. Generally when I'm working, I use Excel 2007, Photoshop CS6, and the internet. Nothing too crazy and my memory usually doesn't get higher than 60-70%. Here are some things that I should probably mention:

- It happens even with the battery removed.

- It happens much less when my power cable is plugged in. There are times where literally within 10 seconds of removing the cable, it shuts off. This happens almost 75% of the time but only at work. I've been using it fine just now for about 30 minutes without the power wire. Keep in mind that it definitely still does happen with cable plugged too, just not as much.

- Sometimes I need to let it "rest" for about an hour. Otherwise, it turns off within 1 minute of turning it on.

- My hard drive space (120GB Kingston SSD sv300s3) is pretty low at around 8GB of space available. Not sure if this could be the reason or not.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

moraha

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

I forgot to mention that when this first started happening, all Event Viewer showed was a Kernel 41 error. Really no other information.

Checking Event Viewer today, I see a lot of Disk Error 7: "The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block." But I also notice that this has happened a few times since August of 2014 and I didn't have this shut down issue back then. I'm not sure which hard drive this is referring to.

mjatcko

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I have the exact same issue. Laptop Freezes, left side fan spins up, and the laptop shuts off completely. Also a Lenovo Y500 but the model before yours with gt650's and then only thing i've added was a corsair m4 128gb ssd. It's been fine for 2 years, and just the last week i've started encountering this. Coretemp is showing ~50 at all times. Also nothing in the event viewer.