Laptop replacement screen oem but not same manufacturer

Robomcduff

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Dropped my Asus N56JR S4044 and broke the screen. Rest seems to be working fine because two times starting shows the cracks and vibrating images but I can see the startup screen and even managed to switch it off normally (took some time to get the mouse in the right spot though).

Took the laptop apart to replace the screen. The original is an LG LP156WF1 (TL) (B2). When I try to find that here in the Czech Republic, I can find that specific screen, but it does not show up as asus compatible. link

On the same website I can find a replacement for the Asus N56JR, but it does not mention the specifications (link) as detailed as the other screen. This screen mentions Asus as the manufacturer.

Does this (TL) (B2) signifies something special and should I stick with the LG LP156WF1 (TL) (B2) screen even if it does not show up when looking for Asus N56JR or go for the discription "replacement for Asus N56JR" even if it seems to be from a different manufacturer and does not show these extra details.

Or is it all the same anyway

Robomcduff

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Don't want to go against forum etiquette, so I will leave away the bad words.

Just called with ASUS Netherlands service support to get some answers and info from them. According them, ASUS has kept the manufacturing of motherboards and of screens in-house and only they can replace it with original quality screen. Repair costs about $300 and will take 4 weeks.

All after-market replacement screens are automatically of inferior quality. When I said that the screen I saw on internet had exactly the same type, manufacturer and specifications as the original, that is, (LG LP156WF1 (TL) (B2), he said that is is quite likely that LG provides Asus with high quality screens as OEM but sells an inferior model under the same name and specifications as after-market.

Now I am not so naive to believe that this scheme is impossible, but I do believe that in this case it is a wagon load full of male cattle excrement. Or not?

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
OK. Problem solved. We had to go to Prague (Czech Republic) and the internet seller who is top of the list for this in our country has his office just outside Prague. So we passed by and he had the original LG screen. He rechecked and installed the screen at no extra costs, works perfect.

My Acer Travelmate 7730G has a broken screen already four years, but screen prizes where prohibitive (over $300) at that time so I used it as desktop with external monitor. I asked the guy, he knew immediately which screen it should be and sold me a refurbished screen. Turned out that it was an LG as well, again identical in all details with the original. I spent 30 minutes on replacing and now that one works great again as well.

Total costs:
LG LP156WF1 (TL) (B2) for the N56JR in our currency 2,560 CZK, which is around $ 105
LG LP171WP4 (TL) (R2) for the Travelmate 7730G was $70.

Far cry from the $ 300 and four weeks ASUS thinks this should take.