Solved! Laptop restarts within 2 mins of login

Mar 12, 2019
My asus X555DG will start up normally but within a minute or two of logging in and loads everything fine. The screen goes blank/olive black and restarts.

I have gone in via safe mode and it works fine, switched off automatic restart if system failure.

Log in as usual and within 2 mins the screen goes blank but dosnt restart. The first 2 leds stay lit but the third one turns off. Fan still runs.

Please help

no updates or anything had happened. 30 mins ago it worked perfect but i let the battery run flat and when i went to use it again this happened.

Solution
That Windows reset that says it will leave your files alone is wholly unreliable. You got away with it once but trying again is really risky.

It's far safer to remove the hard disk and slave it to another machine to transfer the files you need to keep. That way you can also have a thorough Checkdisk to see if it's causing the problem.
Mar 12, 2019
UPDATE

New Development

3e553fe5-1464-46fb-bc42-5235ae10fc27

So i need to get the latest AMD chipset from asus and install it.

PLUS

I need to open device manager and update the drivers for display adapters.

Thats right, yeah?

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Mar 12, 2019
Sorry i had the issue the asus had with the moniter that is attached. I completely removed it about 2 months into owning it and run it via hdmi to tv. Utilising wireless mouse and keyboard.

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
IMAGE_NAME: atikmpag.sys

atikmpag.sys - ATI Graphics driver
Driver date - Tue Oct 4 17:23:20 2016

Have reset the computer reinstalled windows. But kept my work files etc.

Updated graphics via windows device manager and immediately experinced same issue.

Will be resetting windows again, than using the update directly from AMD, as i had no issues for a year untill yesterday. Still at a loss as to what has exactly happend to initiate this issue within the 30 min timeframe between working operation and the foul up....

Failing that i will have to reset windows again but leave it as stock standard drivers.

Couldnt fix it via operating in safe mode as it wouldnt allow the amd graphic driver to load up. Which has led to this round about way to correct the issue. Damned nuisance, truth to be told but currently using it with the foxtel now glitch to recive free pay tv and watch torrents downloaded using torrdroid.
Dont have free to air tv service at current residence.

But I digress.

Will update if this solution does not pan out.

That Windows reset that says it will leave your files alone is wholly unreliable. You got away with it once but trying again is really risky.

It's far safer to remove the hard disk and slave it to another machine to transfer the files you need to keep. That way you can also have a thorough Checkdisk to see if it's causing the problem.

Solution