Laptop screen flickered, turned white, and now won't display anything

sesbetr72

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I wasn't really doing anything on my laptop, and suddenly the screen started to flicker then turned white, and now it won't display anything. I've tried hooking it up to my tv and my tv won't display anything aswell. The laptop model is a HP Pavilion G71-349WM. What can I do to troubleshoot?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug its AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- Next to try is to connect an external monitor while the laptop is on and see if you'll get a display from it.
- If it doesn't work try to disconnect the ribbon cable off the LCD then connect it again to an external monitor and see if you'll get a display.
- Do also try to reseat the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If all these will not work then the problem may not be the LCD but the GPU itself.

sesbetr72

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

1. I've done the first step, and nothing happened
2. I've tried to hook it up to an external monitor but couldnt get it to display (im not sure if I need to change some options on the laptop or what to get it to display through VGA)

Also, I've got a flashlight and shined it on the screen and it appears that it does have a display, but its very very dim. I can only see it with the flashlight shining on it. Could it be the inverter? I've tried looking for the inverter, but I don't know where its located in my laptop.