Laptop screen going black, recovering after a few seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyINFIDEL

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
It's been happening on and off for months now. When it happens, it says something along the lines of "video driver has failed and recovered". I'm not a super techy guy, so if someone could put forward a hypothesis on what the issue could be I'd appreciate it. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to replace the laptop in the near future.

Thanks!

Bstanton

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Couple of thoughts, could be a bad/out-of-date display driver, could be failing RAM, couple be failing GPU on the mainboard. First off, download the latest driver from either the notebook manufactures site or better yet the chipset maker(Nvidia, Intel, ATI, ect) then uninstall the current display driver, restart, install the new. If it keeps happening then next up is hardware testing, what brand/model is the computer?

SpeedyINFIDEL

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

Well I'll get on that. The problem is it happens periodically, so I won't know if updating the driver rectified it for a while.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad z585.

EDIT: Though what's weird is my computer has always shown my graphics card as being a Radeon HD 7660G, but when I looked up the specs for the z585 it shows it as having the 7660G in crossfire with an HD 7670M. Not sure why that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.