Laptop screen is black at startup. Maybe a Virus?

JYang

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A02US . So when i restarted my laptop it stays a black screen with no cursor or any startup sounds at all, but the backlit is lit and the fn lock and caps lock can be pressed.
The last thing I did was searching on google clicking the link and an unclosable popup saying i have a virus, so forced end task it and restarted my laptop. i can’t even safe start or anything of the sort
Any suggestion?
I have tried battery removal- did not work.

Viruses don't cause black screens. Are you able to access the bios? Any virus would only affect the unit once it passes the POST stage and attempts to boot into windows. In other words, leaves the UEFI BIOS environment and begins loading drivers. If it's a virus or malware infection it could react immediately after post, but you would still be able to enter the bios or the advanced boot menu. Is anything on the screen at all after you press the power button to start the unit because it sounds like you're saying there isn't.

If that's correct then it's more likely to be a hardware or power issue. Sometimes faulty hardware can trigger the built in bios virus protections. What, if anything, does it do when you turn the unit on? Any lights or fans at all?

JYang

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015

My screen stays black when I boot it up. The monitor never changes. But the keyboard backlit lights up, so does the power and the power charge light. The CAPS lock light and be pressed and it lights up on and off and so does the Fn lock button. But the Fn doesn’t really work (I pressed Fn and the backlit dimmer key, didn’t work). And yes, the fan works.

Maybe i should buy the cable to connect to another monitor. But if I did, how do i switch from my monitor to the other one?

JYang

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Alright so my laptop flickered and and the monitor is really dim, I mean really dim. but by shining light on it, I can barely see the login screen and desktop.
So I probably need to have my monitor fixed and the virus is still there, so I will reset my laptop.

Thanks anyway Darkbreeze for your suggestions.

Now how do I close this thread?

I'f there is nothing onscreen prior to the time when windows begins to load, or should be loading, it CANNOT be related to a virus having infected the display drivers or anything similar. Theoretically there are viruses that can affect the UEFI firmware, but I've never seen OR heard of an actual report in the wild. I'd highly recommend seeing if the display is normal to an external screen. If it's not, it's likely that there is an infection or driver issue that's affecting the unit, or, something is wrong with the graphics adapter. If it is, then it's equally likely to just be the panel or ribbon cable.

You can close the thread by selecting the green button that says "pick as the solution" or by contacting a moderator (Click the report abuse button) to close the thread if you feel that the advice given has not been helpful.

Bambam47

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Actully i did get a display virus after signing up for nexus mods what i did was system restore it back to before i got to the site hit a lot of buttons on the keyboard espically F8 and the screen should pop up