Laptop screen won't turn on, but works with external monitor.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charger760

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
Hello, my laptop screen won't display anything. It boots up and displays perfectly through an hdmi and my T.V.. I can't adjust my screen brightness either, nothing comes up when I use the brightness function keys, the other function keys work fine. I went to device manager and everything under Monitor and Human Interface are updated. Under Monitor the device is Generic PnP. I'm on an Asus laptop, Windows 8, 64 bit. I'd appreciate any advice.

Zeroram

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
Whenever you have a blackscreen, and before you get all that "Change the screen, change the BIOS, Change this or that..

If your latop gets into windows on a monitor screen, means there is nothing wrong with the BIOS or anything related to that. so try this first.

1.If your laptop has a removable Battery- remove it

2. Unplug the laptop

3.Hold the power button for at least 10 and up to 30 seconds so the laptop can get rid of any "on hold power or static"

4.Plug the computer in

5. Power up the laptop.

You may get back your screen... if it didnt work. try this:

1.Put the battery back

2. Turn on the computer and let it stay until battery die...

3..Hold the power button for at least 10 and up to 30 seconds so the laptop can get rid of any "on hold power or static"

4. wait 3-5 seconds

5. plug the computer and try to turn it on.

if any of this didnt work... try using the laptop with a monitor and check for drivers updates. on some windows 8 and 10 the graphic card get disabled and change to default intel graphics.

so update that.

If that still didnt work... it may be the screen is dead..

With the first solutions i have fixed several HP, Dell and my own Alienware M17x (July 2013 version with windows 7)

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Typically if it works on an external source it's not the graphics card and it's the internal screen, screen components or cable. I had that happened and it turned out to be the LCD cable.

Erol Chester

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
how long will it take to solve the problem ? by the way iam doing it right now .

Erol Chester

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
how long will it take to solve the problem by the way I am doing it right now

Garrett_36

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
I woke up to Windows 10 having installed a new security update, and my laptop screen wouldn't display anything except for a few seconds of startup (BIOS) no matter if my external display was connected or not. Luckily my external display worked, so I was able to troubleshoot, the external display was the #1 display, there was no hint of my laptop screen in the device manager, but since I know it installed the update I went into the Windows Update History and just uninstalled kb3200970, about 5 minutes later after a restart and "installing updates" yada yada it worked perfectly again. The update details didn't mention anything about changes to displays so it's kind of odd, but the bottom line is my screen works again.

Glen_20

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016

This is what happened to me too - a security update failed to install, but seemed to intall anyway. I removed the last fewvwindows updates from Programs And Features and rebooted and all was well.

Garrett_36

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

Watch out. Mine automatically re-installed the update each night, so for the next 2 days the same problem popped up, despite installing a special Microsoft utility to prevent installing those updates. About the 3rd or 4th time, it installed the update but didn't cause the problem again. So who knows...

sapereaude

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I had a similar problem on a Lenovo Yoga 900 running Windows 10. One day the built-in laptop screen was not recognized, and displayed nothing, even on start-up. Yet an external monitor did work, and showed as the only detected display. Oddly, the laptop touchscreen remained receptive, and it controlled output on the external! There had been no recent updates to roll-back. I tried all manner of restarting, disabling/enabling devices, & updates to drivers, but nothing. I was about to try a BIOS update, when my wife suggested rebooting in safe mode. Voila! It worked. The screen is back. No idea what the problem was. Any ideas?

Syed Azam

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thank You So much, it really helped me :)

Thanks a lot :)

i removed battery for some time and then long pressed power button for 10-15 sec and connected Battery Charger, started again restarted then pressed power button until the beep sound beeps and then it will switch on then again shut down leave for some time and then again start.

just for the other guys who are looking for this issue.

"Lenovo ideaPad S510P Series"

Maddog2346

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
This might be old but for anyone having this problem ( like i did) go into display settings and click on the 1st screen go down to muliple displays and hit extend desktop to this display.

Status
Not open for further replies.