laptop sees external speakers as internal

dtuchhypercraft

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
ive noticed when i connect my external speakers it sees them the same as their internal speakers anyway to seperate this? my laptop has one blown speaker so i turned balance of for the right speaker but this setting now applies to the external speakers
its a thinkpad s540

k1114

Distinguished
It's not seeing it as external vs internal, you just can't output to 2 different devices at once. The 3.5mm jack is a stereo output, meaning it's going to want left and right channels and any changes you make will of course affect it's right and left. What you want is to separate devices per channel which you can't do as windows doesn't allow outputting to multiple devices. You'll either need to use the external speaker or the internal.

k1114

Distinguished
It's not seeing it as external vs internal, you just can't output to 2 different devices at once. The 3.5mm jack is a stereo output, meaning it's going to want left and right channels and any changes you make will of course affect it's right and left. What you want is to separate devices per channel which you can't do as windows doesn't allow outputting to multiple devices. You'll either need to use the external speaker or the internal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 0
darren12341234 Laptop Tech Support 1
plouat Laptop Tech Support 0
kho_ Laptop Tech Support 0
AhToki Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
V Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 10
G Laptop Tech Support 5