Laptop shows only black screen after i press power button, fan on, but still black screen NO mouse cursor

shandyyw

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
windows 7, asus x42jr, ati mobility radeon hd5470, then upgraded to ati hd5000 radeon (the new one on the amd website), sometimes while i playing games (darksouls 1) the screen suddenly became blue screen and tells me about atikmpag.sys problem. Then i uninstall the driver, only using the standard vga driver, and the blue screen is no more. What i still encounter is this, whenever after i shut down the laptop, when i boot up, the black screen is still occured and i had to press the power button to force-shutdown, sometimes when i am in luck ( this can goes on from 10 minutes to 2 hours), it will show the safe mode option, or it will directly proceed to my usual display. Is this a problem with the driver? or is this a problem with other parts?? Thanks in advance!

Solution
at worse, you can probably disable the amd graphics from the bios and this should make it revert to the gpu inside the cpu. though slower it should not crash. it will mean no more games but you will at least have a functional notebook.

edit: sorry, my bad, that i7 series doesn't have integrated graphics so no go on reverting to the onboard.. they'll need to clean it up, maybe replace the graphics card completely. pray it's not soldered on the motherboard

edit2: and it is soldered, maybe cleaning the fans/coolers may help otherwise they will need to try a reballing or reflowing, but that's always a gamble...

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
at worse, you can probably disable the amd graphics from the bios and this should make it revert to the gpu inside the cpu. though slower it should not crash. it will mean no more games but you will at least have a functional notebook.

edit: sorry, my bad, that i7 series doesn't have integrated graphics so no go on reverting to the onboard.. they'll need to clean it up, maybe replace the graphics card completely. pray it's not soldered on the motherboard

edit2: and it is soldered, maybe cleaning the fans/coolers may help otherwise they will need to try a reballing or reflowing, but that's always a gamble...

Solution

shandyyw

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015

yeah thanks for replying! the thing is i already give up on playing games on this laptop, gonna switch to iphone's game now, i think i am gonna use this laptop for the purpose of studying/listening music, not for anything else.. For the black screen problem, i agree on the overheating part, last time i got this serviced, the thermal paste is gone. Now i'm trying to cool off my laptop first before usage, and the black screen is a bit lesser than before(two or three times of rebooting, and then the screen shows up again), maybe i gonna try this first http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Clean-Laptop-Fan-and-Apply-Thermal-Paste-on/?ALLSTEPS. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

tahsha

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
my hp laptop just did this. I found out I have to keep hitting escape as I turn the power on to get the atart up menu. I restored the system BIOS because update F.44 screwed it up. As soon as I went back to F.40 the screen worked just fine.