Laptop shutdown (not overheating)

Leandro_

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Hi everyone!

My laptop is a Sony Vaio vpcf115fm, suddenly it started shutdown without any error code or message on screen.

When I'm using the laptop, mainly when watching videos, using webcam, or browsing facebook pages or any other heavy pages that is loaded with flash contents so my laptop suddenly shutdown.

I did a complete internal cleaning, applying new thermal compound (Arctic MX4 on both CPU and GPU), new thermal pads on GPU memory, I also tested all DDR3 memories and slots and they are ok, but the problem still persists even after making a clean OS installation with all drivers up to date and the system temperature ok.

So after doing all these steps with no sucess, came to my mind the idea of making a GPU downclock (core, memory and shaders). Just to let you know, it wasn't overclocked before, I just downclocked from the stock to a lower setting using the NVIDIA Inspector utility. After that my laptop stopped shutdown and now it's working perfectly even when playing games.

The question is:
If the problem isn't overheating, so will it be something related to the BGA, I mean some broke connection (those small spheres) between the chip and the motherboard or it's more like a problem related to some component of the VGA itself or do you still think that's overheating problem?

All that I know is that the shutdown problem is related to the GPU, but I don't know exactly where it would be.

Thanks in advance!

Leandro_

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

When watching movie online the same time using skype with my webcam on, the CPU reaches 57C max and the GPU 51C max.

But as I said if I set my GPU frequencies to the factory default so my system will start shutting down again. Even the temps not going beyond 70C.