Laptop shutdown(without any error) due to overheating

sam1990

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
I am posting my issue too late than it started occurring. I have a sony vaio with intel core i3-370m,4gb ram,500gb hdd and 1gb amd radeon 5000 series gpu. Its more than 3 years old laptop but i used it with great care so it doesnt look like old.

So here is the thing, my laptop started getting hot on in just using browser and outlook(no so called heavy load, cpu usage 25-50). After few days its fan started making sound. I took it to a technician and he changed its fan. I thought it will be fine now(but that's the day from when i started getting real trouble). Now with new fan(of course no sound) it started getting cold shutdown without any error alert or BSE.

I took it again it to him and he again did all the cleaning and repasting properly(i know the way of using thermal paste). And then technician added that if its still shut down then he thinks he should change the gpu chip. Problem was same so I took it to him next day and he changed the chip again. Then using coretemp and fanspeed. I concluded that its only cpu and core temperature which get high more than 80C even If i open a heavy website or two average website on browser simultaneously. I cant do multitasking on it anymore.

So I told them the whole story and then technician changed the processor. Now i can work on it but its just minor improvement maybe just because its one day old( can say it will shutdown if i open 2-3 browser tabs simultaneously). It will still shutdown without any error if i start working averagely. Its just that now I have learnt in last one month how to stop it from shutting down( by running programs slowly and with time gaps).

I believe its a hardware issue not software as shutdown even did happen when i was on bios. Please guys help me I am being mentally unstable as its behaviour affecting my work/profession.

Solution
So this rules out the battery. What are your background processes? It could be that you have a lot of background processes which is causing your cpu to be on load even though there is only one program open. Also when a browser is open, more than one process is running. Check in the task manager and see. Disable any unnecessary startup programs.

Also get a cooling pad. This will help a lot.

sam1990

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

It shutdown in both cases. With the battery(while charging as its backup time has reduced to around 20-30 minutes as its old) and without the battery.

So this rules out the battery. What are your background processes? It could be that you have a lot of background processes which is causing your cpu to be on load even though there is only one program open. Also when a browser is open, more than one process is running. Check in the task manager and see. Disable any unnecessary startup programs.

Also get a cooling pad. This will help a lot.

Solution

Catalin T

Estimable
May 21, 2015
same problem to lenovo g550 4GB RAM. CPU temperature is 40C HDD 45C CPU USAGE 0% - 1% and laptop shutdown without any error. I reinstalled windows7 and same problem ( 64 / 32 )
I removed battery and same problem. :(

qoertalle

Estimable
May 22, 2015
It shutdown in both cases. With the battery(while charging as its backup time has reduced to around 20-30 minutes as its old) and without the battery.
6OloU6