Laptop shuts down after 5min gaming

Xfighter

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
as the title suggests my acer v3 laptop shuts down after 5min of offline gaming.
tested and happens when playing skyrim and blackflag.
back half a year ago when i got the laptop i could play skyrim for hours without problems.
i have a i7-4702mq, gtx760m, 8gb ram and use win8,1.
nvidia is up to date.

uplink-svk

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
This happens quite a lot. I advise my clients to vacuum clean and air pressure notebooks once a week, because I knwo what kind of pigs people are [no offense intended]. Also, piling up dust can cause faster drying up of thermal paste, and many more, so it's quite good to pay attention to tnotebooks thermals more often. Keep it up!

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
To get temperatures download Piriform's Speccy.

Also if you are seeing a blue screen, note the stop code it will be a long code starting with 0x with more 0s and a number at the end, note down the last 2 digits. This is helpful for tracking down the issue.

uplink-svk

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Download MSi AfterBurner, and configure it to show You GPU utilization [usage], GPU temperature, GPU voltage, and CPU utilization [usage], CPU temperature and CPU voltage.

Also, before doing so, can You simply run FurMark, with GPU-z for monitoring of temperatures?

Xfighter

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
ok, ill have a look and post the results tomorrow. i dont get a blue screen. its an instant turnoff without windows shutting down.

Xfighter

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
so before i started running furmark i went into the garage and blew some air into fan of the gpu cooler using a compressor, i didnt expect the problems to be due to dust in the cooler after owning this laptop for 6 months, and i have to say not much came out, but seems like it was enough to cause my gpu to heat up enough to shut down

uplink-svk

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
This happens quite a lot. I advise my clients to vacuum clean and air pressure notebooks once a week, because I knwo what kind of pigs people are [no offense intended]. Also, piling up dust can cause faster drying up of thermal paste, and many more, so it's quite good to pay attention to tnotebooks thermals more often. Keep it up!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 9
R Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 2
N Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
O Laptop Tech Support 2
Q Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 1
Q Laptop Tech Support 4