Laptop shuts down minutes after entering password at login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar_11

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Hello everyone I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5548, the pc starts but after entering the password at loging screen, after about 2 minutes the pc shuts down, when I try to boot into safemode, the laptop gets stuck at Dell logo and wont go pass that.

The laptop can be on for as long as I want in the login screen but 2 minutes after I enter the password and the programs start loading the laptop shuts down, what can I do to backup the files to do a clean insall, I need some info from the laptop, please help.

Solution

Sounds like overheating. You'll get nowhere until you fix it.

I was going to say blow out the fan, but you say you did that. It could be you did not clean it well enough, is that possible...

Cesar_11

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
The laptop started to act strange after an update, and it seems to be overheating, I cleaned everything and repasted the cpu, and still overheats, if I tough the heatsink it gets really hot before the pc is about to restart.
The fan kick in when the laptop is turning on and turns off few seconds after and starts again few seconds before the laptop turns off and restarts.

The laptop is running windows 10 32bit, 8gb of RAM, bios version is A06. Is that the latest bios update?, how can I update the bios without being able to completely boot?

slowhands95128

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Sounds like overheating. You'll get nowhere until you fix it.

I was going to say blow out the fan, but you say you did that. It could be you did not clean it well enough, is that possible? Maybe you missed something. Since you say the fan spins, you must have reconnected it after cleanup, a common problem. You could have a bad fan bearing, so it runs too slowly. These fans don't last forever, and the bearings are simple sleeve bearings that do gum up or freeze up after several years.

Another possibility is the heatsink is not properly contacting the CPU or GPU. If something was not lined up, it would not get tightened down properly. If all else fails try a new fan and heatpipe assembly. Be sure you hold the laptop base horizontally, as the heatpipe could be sensitive to tilt (unlikely, but I have had fans speed up when I had the laptop at weird angles). Good luck, and let us all know how you fix it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.