Laptop shuts down when booting even with live cd

mnzovu

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Hi,
I have a lenovo ideapad that shuts down when booting up, doesnt complete the window load. using a live cd also shuts down when its loading. It however stays on while on bios setup. i have tried changing the ram but does'nt work. please help.

I can touch the heatsink with my bare hand so i believe it not overheating,
trying to format the computer likewise shuts down when windows is loading the setup information.

thanks in advance.

Solution
Try this: Take out the hdd, and see if the laptop stays on without being in BIOS. Usually being in BIOS the power usage is at a minimum. But after it gets beyond POST, the hardware uses more power to load the OS etc. If this is the case, then it could be a problem with the way it gets powered, perhaps the adapter may be dying and doesn't give enough power, or the power circuit on the MB may be faulty. All in all, this is either a power related or an overheating related issue. Try to see if the adapter is the cause here.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Possibile overheating. If it has never been cleaned before, take it apart and see if the heatsink is cloged with dust. If that's the case, clean it and also change the thermal paste. Make sure everything is put into the right place. If this doesn't solve it, i'll think of somehing else.

mnzovu

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Hi V1c, it was not a dirty piece but i still gave it a clean. still behaves the same, a hard disk replacement has not helped too. the fan is running okay.

mnzovu

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Hi Jaro, it behaves the same way, shuts down when loading in safemode,
as the lines rush up or is it down the screen

mnzovu

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

thanks again, i have tried it with the battery minus the adapter , and then with the adapter minus the battery but still goes off. at times it goes off like five seconds from power up, at times it might take some time loading but then will go off before windows loads. even if i leave it for the next day, kinda like letting it cool down.

mnzovu

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Yes Jaro, all lights go off, no blinking no ligting, and fan stops.

mnzovu

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Hi Jaro, it stays on for as long as i want to be in setup. i loaded into bios and let the computer on for over 30 minutes. thanks.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Try this: Take out the hdd, and see if the laptop stays on without being in BIOS. Usually being in BIOS the power usage is at a minimum. But after it gets beyond POST, the hardware uses more power to load the OS etc. If this is the case, then it could be a problem with the way it gets powered, perhaps the adapter may be dying and doesn't give enough power, or the power circuit on the MB may be faulty. All in all, this is either a power related or an overheating related issue. Try to see if the adapter is the cause here.

Solution