Laptop shuts down when I run any type of game

Joe6446

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
The laptop I currently own is pretty underpowered, but it's good enough for running games like League of Legends on high settings with a reasonable 50 fps. Lately, however, I've been having issues playing League, or any other game on steam, for that matter. I can browse, watch videos, do work on word, etc. However, whenever I try to launch a game, my computer just shuts down, abruptly, without warning, I've lost some work due to this, and it's ridiculously frustrating that it sometimes games launch, and sometimes they don't. I've been checking my temperatures and they don't go past 56 degrees. It also handles programs like fur mark without shutting down. I've been stuck on this, and I don't want to use my desktop for every single thing, is there any fix that can be done?
EDIT: It's now giving me a BSOD, saying PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (ETD.sys)

Solution
YES, temperatures....
Take it so somebody who knows how to clean CPUs radiator in laptops.
He will also replace paste that is between cpu and radiator. Fan also will be cleaned.
Any laptop service will do it for you for around £20- £30.
You can always try Your own vaccum (to suck the dust from the back of laptops case). But this only will help if there is a build of dust there. You can try- ntohing to loose and do not have to take a single screw off.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi
Games stress the graphics chip or component of the cpu

I presume the temperature you measured refers to cpu not
Gpu.

Without knowing laptop model i cant look up common problems with that model

A few years ago the amount of lead in solder was reduced resulting in early failure of solder connections of chips to motherboards .
You may need a new laptop or desktop

Regards
Mike Barnes

Joe6446

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015

My laptop model is a Gateway NE570. I've also said that it handles programs like fur mark without crashing, which places extraordinary stress on the GPU, yet it cant run a simple 2d steam game.

ficler1977

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
YES, temperatures....
Take it so somebody who knows how to clean CPUs radiator in laptops.
He will also replace paste that is between cpu and radiator. Fan also will be cleaned.
Any laptop service will do it for you for around £20- £30.
You can always try Your own vaccum (to suck the dust from the back of laptops case). But this only will help if there is a build of dust there. You can try- ntohing to loose and do not have to take a single screw off.

Solution

Joe6446

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015

I just did what you recommended, however it had no effect on the frequency that it crashes.