Laptop Shutting Down - After Amd Cpu Upgrade

Jul 31, 2018
My Acer Ferrari 4000 Laptop is shutting off as soon as I shortly launch a game such as Hitman or 3DMark benchmark. I upgraded my ML-30 to a ML-42 which boots up fine and I've left the computer running overnight, only once I put a significant load.

I'm thinking it might be the gpu or something to do with the power supply? the power adapter is aftermarket but has been fine with the 1.6ghz amd, wondering if the 2.4ghz might be pulling more draw but the tdp is the same.

Thanks!

Solution

I'm inclined to agree. It sounds like when the power draw is raised, something is being tripped. Gotta be careful with aftermarket adapters as there are a lot of low-grade ones out there, and/or if the electrical specs are off from the OEM requirements just enough, then you run into issues.

I'm inclined to agree. It sounds like when the power draw is raised, something is being tripped. Gotta be careful with aftermarket adapters as there are a lot of low-grade ones out there, and/or if the electrical specs are off from the OEM requirements just enough, then you run into issues.

Solution
Jul 31, 2018
Just an update, I looked into my aftermarket charger that it came with. Rated at 65/70W which was below spec as the OEM @ 90W 19V 4.74A so I picked up one that matched noting the pin size of 5.5/2.5 and BINGO!!

Stable through gaming and benchmarks again, considering the temps were normal the power issue was the next best thing!

There it is! Glad it was a simple replacement and not something more catastrophic.