Laptop keeps shutting down during games that use more GPU than CPU

May 31, 2018
My laptop is a samsung np520U4C. And only recently everytime I open a game on steam, except for TF2 or CS:GO it'll crash as soon as it loads anything, and I mean crash as in the laptop shuts off like you unplugged the battery from the motherboard. It has no warning, and happens within 1-10 SECONDS of the computer running the game. Also, minecraft can run perfectly without shutting off the computer for hours. Im kind of at an impasse now because Event Viewer doesnt register that a crash ever happened. So I updated all drivers, ran benchmarks, and sure enough. As soon as I start up heaven benchmark. It will crash the computer within 3 seconds every time. But after i reset the entire computer it could run it for hours without problem. But now it causes the computer to crash everytime. my specs are

Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor@2.5GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Intel® HD Graphics 4000

And i pretty much keep my laptop plugged in at all times. Anyone have the slightest clue to whats going on?

Solution
I'm guessing its your power supply not providing enough juice/watts, be sure to check if it's within spec since it sounds like a typical low power situation where the laptop shuts off once the GPU/CPU are being taxed. As long as your temps are within range from overheating that's the next best thing to check the charger/power supply.

Good luck!
May 31, 2018

Yes I have, I use HWMonitor and SpeedFan to monitor all the temps, and voltages. Cant access the fan because the BIOS has me locked out from most settings... Nothing under load gets above 75c when gaming.(or that was before this problem aroused) And RAM and HDD usage as in how much is allocated under load ?

Jul 31, 2018
I'm guessing its your power supply not providing enough juice/watts, be sure to check if it's within spec since it sounds like a typical low power situation where the laptop shuts off once the GPU/CPU are being taxed. As long as your temps are within range from overheating that's the next best thing to check the charger/power supply.

Good luck!

Solution