Laptop slammed closed, now showing error on start up.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
My little brother recently slammed my mom's ASUS laptop shut when he was mad. It worked for a day and then slowly started having problems. Now when it turns on it says "WIndows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to you computer. Status: 0xc00000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

I have built desktop PCs but I have never opened up a laptop before so I am worried about messing something up. Would it be best to have her take it to a local repair shop so they can diagnose the issue and then get the part causing the problem replaced? I think the laptop may still be under warranty. Thanks in advance for any answers.

That error message indicates that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive. You could try to remove and reinstall the hard drive and see if that helps. If, after doing this, you get the same message it could be the hard drive is damaged. It could be that in slamming the lid down it caused physical damage to the hard drive.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/unexpected-io-error-has-occured-status-0xc00000e9/ca21de58-4b0d-4f4c-b110-3788fd534e8a